Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 DX (so my windows are amnual) and my driver side window KEEPS comming off track! anybody know how to get this thing to stop. because i am getting realy tired or taking my door apart. and it's a little cold outside!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
buy a new regulator and install it.......

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
©urbow;758727 said:
I have a 99 DX (so my windows are amnual) and my driver side window KEEPS comming off track! anybody know how to get this thing to stop. because i am getting realy tired or taking my door apart. and it's a little cold outside!
i had a customer come in with the same complaint. i fixed their window with nothing more than hand tools, some lube and patience. not saying this will work for you but it's worth a shot since it requires no money and just some of your time. plus you get to learn a thing or two about how the features of your civic operate :TU:

first off, lube the runchannels with a clear silicone spray or some type of grease-less lubricant which will keep the rubber soft and allow the glass to move smoothly.

**NOTE**this is one of the most often overlooked maintenance area on all cars. for every single scheduled service other than an oil change at our dealership we lube all run channels, weatherstripping and lubricate all latches, hinges and pivots for the doors, trunks/tailgates and hoods. get into the habit of it, especially during winter months if you drive your car where there is snow and salt. i did my car once a month. trust me, you will thank me :TU:

moving on. you will need to remove the door panel, interior mirror panel (the black triangular piece in the corner that coveres the mirror mounting bolts) and the plastic moisture barrier inside the door.

next, look and see where the window is coming out at and also if the run channels have been damaged, bent or popped out of position. if they are ok, you will now need to move the channels to allow the window to be re-inserted into them.

follow the run channels to their respective ends both top and bottom. on the left runchannel (if you are facing the inside of the door) you will see a bolt (some also have a washer on them) near the bottom left corner of the door. that is the run channel adjustment bolt. there should be one also on the lower right corner of the door for the right side run channel as well as a nut where the mirror panel cover is on the top right corner of the door. what you need to do is loosen the bolts so you can adjust the run channels outward to get the window back in, then pull them inward with the window in them until there is no longer any play between the window and the channel. tighten the adjustment bolts and nut back up, check the operation of the window and if it works, you should be all set :D. sometimes you may have to remove th window and put some muscle into the run channels to bend them in towards each other a bit. it sounds a tad shadetree mechanic-ish but i've saved a couple customers the cost of buying all new run channels simply by using my arms and a little physical persuasion and it might save you some ducats as well ;)

in most cases you don't need to disconnect the window from the regulator because the metal bar that the window is attached to which slides side to side has enough movement to allow adjustment. if for some reason you need to remove it, simply roll the window down enough to expose the two 6mm bolts (takes a 10mm socket) and undo them.

my explanation sounds a bit daunting but once you get everything off and see how it operates, its fairly straightforward. hope this helps :TU:

Reactions: modsHXcivi

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I have taken my door apart 3 times now with this problem. Yea,i guess oiling things up might help out. i have not attemped that yet. i have just fixed it and went on my way.

It is the front runner that it keeps popping out of. (every time). So i'll be sure to look it over real good to make sure it is not damaged.

Thanks for the info again. i'm at work now so i gotta swing outside before it gets dark so i can try to at least to get it up. i attemped it earlyer and no luck at all unless i want to break my mirror.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
©urbow;758835 said:
Thanks for the info.

I have taken my door apart 3 times now with this problem. Yea,i guess oiling things up might help out. i have not attemped that yet. i have just fixed it and went on my way.

It is the front runner that it keeps popping out of. (every time). So i'll be sure to look it over real good to make sure it is not damaged.

Thanks for the info again. i'm at work now so i gotta swing outside before it gets dark so i can try to at least to get it up. i attemped it earlyer and no luck at all unless i want to break my mirror.
the problem i had with one was the front run channel as well and it was doing the eaxct same thing. the customer had power windows so they jammed the glass up against the mirror and i had to actually remove the mirror to make the repair easier. removing the mirror might help you as well since you'll have the trim piece off anyways and its just three 4mm nuts requiring an 8mm socket to remove it. remember to re-attach the rubber mirror baseplate seal properly upon re-installation :TU:

what i did for that job was remove the window and with the top and bottom adjustment bolts good and tight, reach inside the door and pull on the center of the right side run channel and try to pivot bend it inward (you'll feel this movement properly when you go to try it). you just want to take up some of the slack between the channel and the window. also, adjust the channel inward as far as it will go using the adjustment bolts and once you lube the rubber, the window should slide alot easier.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
My passenger window does the same thing if I don't lube it up every once in a while.

This stuff lasts for months and doesn't leave white goo like the silicone spray.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
at the dealership we use the honda pure silicone lubricant in the spray can with the little red straw. it's very messy so we only apply it when alot of lubrication is required such as sticking sliding doors on odysseys, windows which are tough to roll up and down, etc. it makes a big mess if you are using it for general purpose rubber and weatherstrip lubrication.

for lubricating normal maintenance items on services, we use Kleen-Slip by Kleen-Flo:

http://www.kleenflo.com/en/productpages/740.htm

it also comes with the little red straw but is far cleaner to apply and doesn't get all over the place. prior to us getting the thicker honda silicone lube, we used this across the board and it still works great. only diff is you need to use a bit more for jobs where you need to free-up stuck parts. also works great on spark plug boots (both ends), re-attaching hoses and many other uses.

it's what i use on my civic once a month when i drive it :TU:

My passenger window does the same thing if I don't lube it up every once in a while.
it must be an EK civic thing because i don't see near the amount of EGs or EFs with as many window problems.

like i always say, the last and best year for GOOD civics was 1995. it all went downhill from there ;) :p

Reactions: green_hornet_96

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
i had this problem i would say 20 times....and it would always happen when it was cold as hell what i did was just sprayed some wd40 in the tracks and it hasnt come off and it has been 4 months

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
a little dab 'll do ya ;)

teeheeheeheehee

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
ok, ive got a problem with my 93 EG manual driver door/window.. the rubber mouldings keeps bunching up on the front and back of the door... when the window gets to the top it gets really hard to close... is ther a fix for this?

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
ok, ive got a problem with my 93 EG manual driver door/window.. the rubber mouldings keeps bunching up on the front and back of the door... when the window gets to the top it gets really hard to close... is ther a fix for this?
if its properly and aqeuately lubed, it might be that your runchannels have shifted out of position. if you can, try to re-position them properly but if you've been doing it for a while like that they might be damaged and need to be replaced.

they have a like a V-shaped pinch attachment method and it's easy for them to become dis-aligned if they're pulled on when opening the door with the window down or something hits them.

hard to say without pics of them. can you snap a couple and post them up? will prob help alot in diagnosing the problem :TU:

·
Registered
105 Posts
i had this, fookin pain in the arse...i lubed it up but still had it happen...then some fuker broke into my car, when the glass geezer came out to do the window he said this was a common problem and happened while he was working on it so he said try twisting the top of the door frame as they do get bent out of shape slightly...gave it some rage and now it`s fixed:holla:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts