Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was weighing my pistons today I noticed a little nick in the ringland on the exhaust side. It's small about 2mm long, 1mm wide, and ~0.5mm deep.

Would this cause a problem? I'm thinking it may score the cylinder wall and cause sealing issues. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Should I get a new piston? Or should I just say F-it and use it as is?

I'll try to get a picture of it when I get home.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Any pics???

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool...

I have to use the good camera when I get home for a pic. My cell phone cant get close enough

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definately going to sand it down an prep the whole piston. But, do you think it's really bad though? I'm going to run it anyway because they are Arias pistons and expensive as hell.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I would run it.. Doesnt look that bad at all

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, thanks guys :TU:
I got a good deal on them from someone here. I think I paid 250 or something like that.

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
I wish i would have saved my pics from the pistons i bought on turbod16 kid said they were brand new in the box NEVER even takin out of the packaging so i paid like 320 (about 50 under what they are from SRP) and get them to me and one has a knick quit larger than that in it roght under one of the ring lands!
let me see if i can get thos pics...

BUT the place that did my build said it was fine b/c as ryan stated you only ned to worry about the seal fot the rings not the pistons their selves....

OH and if your a turbod16 memeber and wondering what the kids user info is its.... JDMCIVIC517

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'd only be worried about hot spot creating detonation, and I'd only be worried about that if its a serious build.
Sharp edges with more surface area like that will heat up more. That nick will probably hold a bit more heat, but whether it will be a problem depends on if you have a tame or extreme build. It's probably fine unless your running high compression high boost. (or really high of one or either)

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nah, nothing too serious... 9:1 CR looking to make 250-300 hp

I'm just going to sand it down and not worry about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts