Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 90 Civic dx as a winter beater, but the thing is that it has a b16a motor in it and 4 wheel disk
I took the car for a test drive when I bought it and there is something wrong with the front end.

You can kick the driver side tire, and it makes a noise kinda like its hitting something, a little more movement than it should have, also seemes to move more when you kick it in the rear

When driving there is slop in the steering wheel, you can move it a good bit efore you start turning

Also wen driving there is a thumping noise, its basically a constant thumping but it doesnt seem to change depeneding on speed. Isnt to loud but its loud enough and I think you can feel it

I havent had the time due to weather and work to jack the car up, but can anyone give me pointed on what it could be and what to check

Thank guys

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a constant noise as in I think its always thumping, its not that loud but you can hear it and I *believe* feel it

Im gonna tear the wheel off in a minute and check shit out

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I jacked it up and pulled the tire off and everything appears to be in dam good condition
I couldnt feel any movement in the tie rod or any spots on the ball joint but I was only pushing and pulling in different directions, all of the little busing boost seem to be perfectly intact

The only thing I noticed and dont know if this is normal is that the rotor and inner part of the caliper move a good bit

There is one screw in the caliper but I dont know if its rotted out or not

And for the caliper, its the inner part of it that has a good 1/4" play in it moving it left to right, slapping on the rotor

Need help

Also, I dunno if this car has a maual rack to being with or not. The slop doesnt bother me, as long as I get this noise/thump fixed

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dropped the car so that the wheel was touching and you can grab the top of the wheel and push it inward, i dont know how much, not very much but you can tell there is play somewhere, and the rotor seems to move with it

Then when you release all the pressure you just pushed into the wheel pushing it forward, you can feel it fall back out of play and contact something

You can basically grab the top of the wheel and go back and forth a bit making a little bit of noise

Thats what I was feeling when I was kicking it I guess

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also if it is a wheel bearing, does it sound like it is?

What do you do? Just buy the bearing? Or do I need a new hub?

I need to order this tonight so I can have it for tomorrow and do it

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Sounds like a combination of things really, like my car for example. Dry rotted bushings, worn upper ball joints, worn inner and outer tie rods, and possibly a sloppy rack and pinion (I'll find out when I replace the inner tie rods). Just doing the outer tie rods and upper ball joints made a huge differance, the bushings just finished it off. I still have some play in the steering wheel but I know that's from the inner tie rods. I also know my bushings in the rack are worn, I could feel it when I was replacing the outer tie rod ends. You shoulden't be able to move the rack itself up and down in it's housing.

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
well, if it drives fine, now, then it was probably that the last person didn't put the lugnuts on tight enough. which could cause all the symptoms, and not show any signs of wear. check the caliper bolts, make sure it's bolted on tight, and the screw isn't really of consequence, alot of people don't use them

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No

When I retightenned the lugnuts (and they were tight as balls to take off) the tire still has some play in it, you can move it back and forth and the rotor seems to move with it

Everything that you can visually see looks pretty mint

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Visual inspection is almost worthless when it comes to suspension parts. When you move the wheel back and forth, does the steering wheel move with it or is it delayed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts