Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to installing a b series transmission on either my d16y8 or d16z6. Would really appreciate any tips and suggestions on what to do with motor n also which transmission is best. Looking to also boost it for 1/4 mile.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,635 Posts
so youre going to spend more money for a d2b kit instead of a whole b swap?

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are your power goals? 1/4 mile time goals?
Looking to get down the 1/4 mile track in 10sec. Ill be happy with that. Just looking to build a d2b setup since I have a spare engine to do some fun things too. What internals should I get. Help me out guys. Already got a b series setup so dont ask y I dont just get a b swap. Tryna do a sleeper single.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's your budget?
Between 3 5k hopefully.
Already got engine and just got me a gsr hydro trans both for 700. Def putting a lsd on it though. Give me details guy on what internals I should get for both engine n tranny. Already looking at the d2b swap kit already saving up for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why would you only want to boost it for 1/4 pf a mile ,no faith in your mechanical skills?
? Dont understand
But I have full faith in my mechanic skill but only have about 5 years experience. Tryna do everything by myself n with a group of friends. But just want more advice from people who have done ac d2b swap. Saw a guy do 8seconds with a d2b so got me kinda hyped.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
D2B swap is not exactly a simple bolt on affair.

The input shaft splines and sizes are different
The crank bolt pattern is different for the flywheel.
I believe the clutch pattern is different too.

Custom flywheel and clutch are most likely needed. Not a cheap ordeal.
The B trans can almost directly mount to the D engine, minus working a couple holes and flipping a couple bolts around.

It will be more expensive to go the adpater plate route to give room for a spacer, but may be a stronger method to the madness.

You may be better off getting your feet wet with a B20 vtec or LS vtec build. You would get a ton of aftermarket support compared to the D series, and definitely be capable of being faster.

Single slammers will always have a soft spot in my heart, but nowadays, are not worth the expense of a D2B. Heck, I remember when D series engines were being given away on here!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea true... just was thinking bout doing something unique since I have 2 single cam engines. Def want to do something with them.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,520 Posts
Contact SpeedFactory, send $$$ since they laid the foundation.

PS James Kempf of Speed Factory has a few threads here detailing the building of the D motors, you just have to search :)

Also you only need just enough clutch or else you'll beat up the 1-2 and 3-4 sliders and hubs. Many of my transmission customers run too much clutch for road racing (under 200 whp) and beat these parts to death esp. with unspring 3-4 puck clutches.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Yea true... just was thinking bout doing something unique since I have 2 single cam engines. Def want to do something with them.
D's can certainly be fun. In Colorado, there is a 930whp wagovan d16a6 build. Look at some of PFI Speed's videos if they started in 2018 or 2019, else Boosted Boiz. 2019 sounds more correct.

Heck, Brent the owner would be another good source for info if he has time to answer. Dude is super busy.

Bone brings up good info with Speedfactory. May or may not need the wayback machine to get pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will def check them out. I cant find no videos on YouTube on d2b setup just like 1 or 2 but just drag strip race no actual explanation on engine setup. Will def ask Brent on the d2b setup.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I dont think he has a D2B setup. He tuned this dudes crazy d16a6 turbo build, and hes been around hondas for quite awhile. He just seems like he would be around this type of crazy more often.

He is crazy busy, as far as his youtube channel indicates, so email is probably the best route, or facebook

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,520 Posts
D2B swap is not exactly a simple bolt on affair.

The input shaft splines and sizes are different
The crank bolt pattern is different for the flywheel.
I believe the clutch pattern is different too.

Custom flywheel and clutch are most likely needed. Not a cheap ordeal.
The B trans can almost directly mount to the D engine, minus working a couple holes and flipping a couple bolts around.

It will be more expensive to go the adpater plate route to give room for a spacer, but may be a stronger method to the madness.

You may be better off getting your feet wet with a B20 vtec or LS vtec build. You would get a ton of aftermarket support compared to the D series, and definitely be capable of being faster.

Single slammers will always have a soft spot in my heart, but nowadays, are not worth the expense of a D2B. Heck, I remember when D series engines were being given away on here!!
Only the flywheel needs to be different. B series flywheel with D crank bolt pattern, then offset for either adapter or no adapter. Simple setup that has been used for 80+ years in various swaps, esp. for salt speeders.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,520 Posts
D's can certainly be fun. In Colorado, there is a 930whp wagovan d16a6 build. Look at some of PFI Speed's videos if they started in 2018 or 2019, else Boosted Boiz. 2019 sounds more correct.

Heck, Brent the owner would be another good source for info if he has time to answer. Dude is super busy.

Bone brings up good info with Speedfactory. May or may not need the wayback machine to get pictures.
Boosted Bois didn't like a reply of mine when they were messing with the seq. Quaife K box. Someone replied, "Oh shit, it's Bone!"....and later the comment was removed :)

The box has shitty machining from Quaife and has to be taken apart and cleaned up, about $500-800 in extra labor at TRE in Kalamazoo, MI. I'm headed there to see what he can do to repair D series alum. forks....but COVID got in the way.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Bone, Ive seen their channel, they dont seem to particularily like sitting down and doing something once and be done, rather they like to come back and back and back. lol

They have some cool content though, and seem decent enough folks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont think he has a D2B setup. He tuned this dudes crazy d16a6 turbo build, and hes been around hondas for quite awhile. He just seems like he would be around this type of crazy more often.

He is crazy busy, as far as his youtube channel indicates, so email is probably the best route, or facebook
You have his email address would def love to talk to him if he has the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts