Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
ukdm 16v
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i know this is a little cheeky as its my 1st post since signing up but im sure you guys are nice enough to help me before ive managed to do an into page

im running a d16a9 atm but have purchased a d16a8 to rebuild to fit into its place. a guy local to me has got a d17a9 engine out of an em2 usdm civc and i was wondering if fitting the crank, rods, pistons etc form a d17a9 engine into a d16a8/9 engine has been done before.

ive read on here briefly and on honda-tech that the d17a1/2 cranks have been fitted to d16a6 blocks.

im all out for going down the different route but dont want to throw money into it if its a certain that they wont mix

thanks, Brett

·
Registered
ukdm 16v
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the fast reply.

im really fresh into the engine modifying but i remember being told that most d-series blocks are the same, is the y8 the same block as the a8/9?

·
Registered
ukdm 16v
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great help there mate. if you dont mind me contacting you when i get round to it could you let me know some specs

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
d17 heads and blocks are not interchangeable with d16 heads and blocks. However the dimensions of the d17 blocks are the same as the d16 blocks so the d17 crank and stuff do fit.

·
Registered
ukdm 16v
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
d17 heads and blocks are not interchangeable with d16 heads and blocks. However the dimensions of the d17 blocks are the same as the d16 blocks so the d17 crank and stuff do fit.
so from what your saying it is worth getting the full block inc internals? I read also that the oil pump and pick up are needed to?

When I asked this on the honda crx forum a member mentioned that doing this would raise the cc to iirc 1788 does this sound correct. Im guessing this could be right only if the block heighs are different

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
[+] I had glanced over that, my main worry was the difference in block useage
Virtually every d16 block is the interchangeable. The only ones you cannot interchange are d17 with d16 and sohc with dohc. Everyone else feel free to correct me or add to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts