Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am total noob when it comes to engines and performance.

I have swapped my D15Y3 with D17A7 non vtec in Civic 2005. As you might know better that D17A7 is from Civic GX which is a CNG engine with 12.5:1 compression. We converted it to petrol, used injector rail, throttle body, transmission, ecu and headers of old engine D15Y3. We don't have O2 sensors in this model in our country, moreover ECU don't have knock sensor option.

Engine is in great shape and giving overall excellent performance, the only issue which I am facing is knocking. I am using 95 Octane, but still its knocking during quick acceleration. My mechanic is suggesting to retard the timing to fix knocking.

Experts, please suggest what are my options to fix the knocking problem and how we can get maximum power out of this engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AEM FIC or VAFC-2 are the cheap tuning options for some fuel control, you likely need alot more fuel than the stock ECU is telling it.
I was thinking on the same lines. Thanks for your input. Do you think I should also go for bigger injectors as the one I have is probably 190cc.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,946 Posts
try to throw in some z6/y8 (whatever obd your car harness is) and see if that helps. I believe the z6/y8 are 240cc's.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
not only more fuel but also a different timing curve is likely. that is a L:OT of compression to run on, at 12:1 with 93 octane i had to pull a lot of timing out of my engine.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
I would retard the distributor until you are free of knock on hard acceleration. If the car still has OK power, and drives good, I would live with it.

Otherwise, if performance is too poor, I would look into a chipped OBD1 ecu, and I would convert to OBD1 and custom tune the ignition and fuel maps. You can use Crome, which is free, and readily available as cracked software on line. Plus there are write ups on how to use it and get off the ground.

There are MANY MANY ecu pinouts for OBD0, OBD1, OBD2A/B, all of it. You should be able to easily rewire at the ECU connector to use an OBD1 ecu. There are also low cost conversion harnesses on ebay for under $50 USD.

Here is a conversion harness from OBD0 to OBD1 that I made for my own car. Took a few hours and some soldering plus 2 pinouts open on my laptop screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts