Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok. so i have had this kit for over 6000 miles now and so far it is holding up well. i have the gt25r ball bearing kit with the aem fic. as much as they claim that it is fully bolt on...this is complete bullcrap. the kit comes in 2 boxes. didnt know this when i got it and got very angry when i got one box of parts with no turbo.

the instruction cd has enough information to get you on the right track if you have never installed a turbo kit before. the turbo that came with it was dropped by ups and the bolts holding the actuator got ripped off of the turbo. had to send it back and wait for another turbo. this turbo came with the actuator completely open and i was getting no boost. when i closed the actuator rod, it snapped. $40 later on ebay, i got another actuator and am getting 7-9lbs of boost instead of 6.

the turbo manifold hits the power steering bracket so i had to grind that down to get it to fit. the intake that comes with it has to be maneuvered in order to fit because everything is getting jammed in very tight. also you have to drill a hole in the intake so that the iat sensor can be used. the turbo connects to the downpipe with freakin allen wrench bolts. you have to buy sockets that have them built in so that you can install the downpipe. the charge pipes barely fit. one of the clips didnt allow the injector wires to fit so i have one injector that doesnt have a clip and the wires are connected directly to the injector. the turbo will fit but the pipes that come installed for the oil feed and the water feed and drain, have to be slightly bent for it to fit right. i cant really think of much more to bash the kit for right now.

enough of the negative...now for the positive. the tune that came on the aem fic is pretty reliable. i have ran that tune for about 6000 miles and so far am in pretty good shape still. once i worked out all the kinks the kit is really good. the car is a lot faster than what it was stock. i ran the kit for about 5000 miles on stock everything. the kit was put on the motor when it had about 170000 miles. i just replaced the head gasket with a cometic mls gasket, the head bolts just got pulled out and i have arp head studs now, and i just put in a stage 2 competition clutch kit. the car no longer has any ac lag and is a lot more responsive. the tiny turbo made the exhaust a lot deeper and the ricy buzz at 4000rpms is no longer there.

i still havent gotten it tuned at a shop so i have no idea how much more power i made, but its fast enough now for a good dd. passing is a lot easier now and i no longer have to downshift to 4th at 60mph just to pass people on the highway. the biggest difference is the amount of power i have with the ac running. before it was slow as hell. now i can run the ac and still have fun in my car. since im the only one with a turbo 7th gen in my area, it has definitely gotten some attention.

i figured i would post this because i couldnt find any reviews on this kit before i bought it. overall, the kit was a pain in the ass to install, but now that it is in the car its not that bad to work with now. i would highly recommend this kit for any new people like myself. installing takes some car savvy but it isnt impossible. i run this kit with the tune that was sent with it and i havent had any issues. the kit was installed the end of february 2014 and is still running good. i got the kit from turbo-kits.com and dont regret my decision. i got a military discount and also price matching. the kit was a lot cheaper on procivic.com but they didnt have a military discount.

tsi worked well with me every step of the way. they even sent me another bov because i thought i was having issues with mine. they never charged me for the bov either. great customer service.

i will post pics from my phone of everything when i can. it runs great and is not too pretty on the eyes. just a warning. when i installed this kit i wasnt too worried on how it looked. just how it ran. everything is installed well but looks a little messy.

thanks for reading. post any questions and i will answer them as best as i can.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Good post. I tend to not get pre-made kits. Any type of body damage on your car and they don't line up. Also the stiff you said. I know the eldbrock kit says you have to do some cutting.

But either way you got it installed and up and running which is cool.

If you have any logs from your runs I'd like to see them. I've been testing a program I made for the aem fic an I'm trying to get different logs to verify everything.

And Yea boost and ac rules. And it's nice to not have that lag when you switch gears.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any logs. And no I don't have a wideband yet. That's my next thing to get. I pulled the motor apart and the cylinders look good. Car doesn't smoke and it's not knocking. It pulls pretty good but I don't go all out on it either. This tune they sent isn't the greatest but it will work if u want a little more pep. Wouldn't recommend track use obviously. When I get the aem uego kit installed I will update this post and let you know the afr for the tune they sent with the kit. Thanks for all the replies also. I know it's really hard to find any reviews on this kit. Figured I could help out the 7th gen community and shed some light on the possibilities for this motor bone stock.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a pic of the downpipe, but I can get one next time I do an oil change or have the car lifted up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh and I also got the plug and play harness. the one they sent me had a resistor built in and it was causing issues so I had to call boomslang and had them replace it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just upped my boost to 10lbs. Car is way faster. I need to upgrade my tires though because now it has too much torque for the wheels on the car. It spins out from a rolling start in 1st and second at like 4000 rpms and up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the wideband put in too. The tune they sent had my AFR at like 12.5:1. It wasn't too bad.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
First upload the picture to the internet, somewhere. TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting is a free option.

Then once it is uploaded, get a direct link to the image.

example: "http://i30.tinypic.com/2i082f4.jpg" I uploaded this a long time ago to tinypic.

Now that the image is on the web, you need to hyperlink it here.

You do that with code tags.

Code:
[img]i30.tinypic.com/2i082f4.jpg[/img]

Example:

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I just upped my boost to 10lbs. Car is way faster. I need to upgrade my tires though because now it has too much torque for the wheels on the car. It spins out from a rolling start in 1st and second at like 4000 rpms and up.
Got the wideband put in too. The tune they sent had my AFR at like 12.5:1. It wasn't too bad.
Thats kinda lean for my liking.
Also did you add any more fuel to the tune when you up the boost?
And post pix.... lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
http://tinypic.com/a/5uqa8/3

Sorry I took forever to post those pics. Idk if I already said this...but the BOV that comes with the kit is garbage and causes compressor surge. I replaced it with the greddy fv and everything is working way better. Motor is still running strong. And I added more fuel to the tune. Running 11.5-11.1 at full throttle boost. Feel free to ask questions because I know no one else really posted their experience with the kit. And I will try to post new pics ASAP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
in the process of working out the kinks in the tune but been running 13lbs of boost for almost a week now. just figured i'd update you guys on this. motor has like 175,000 miles now and still runs strong. no smoke or anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts