Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My headgasket is gone on my ep2 and I need to drop a new engine in. I can pick up a Civic Coupe 2001 with D17A2 4 speed auto with only 50k miles on it!

Now what I'm wondering is. Will the D17A2 drop straight into the engine bay? No modifications at all to engine mounts etc

Also the car I want to pick up is an automatic and mines a manual. Will the D16V1 tranny fit the D17A2?

Do I need to buy any extra parts or any custom work done?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Biggest problem you will run into is using a distributor, d17's use coil over plug. Pretty sure the bell housing will bolt up to your stock tranny.
D16V1 uses a coil on plug too so that shouldn't be a problem. The engines look identical. I'm hoping the tranny will fit as I don't fancy having an automatic and this cars been written off (Back end damage) so I'm getting it dirt cheap with very low mileage.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
4,831 Posts
Ah, I didn't know you were from outside the US. The d16v1 does look identical to the d17a2, I bet the only difference is the stroke and block height. I don't think you will run into any problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I didn't know you were from outside the US. The d16v1 does look identical to the d17a2, I bet the only difference is the stroke and block height. I don't think you will run into any problems.
Yes sorry, I'm from UK and the EP2 D16V1 is European. I think I will give it a try! Cars cheap enough to break and make money from it if it doesn't fit lol but I'm sure I can make it fit. Let's just hope I don't run across any problems :(

D17A2 internals are a lot better than D16V1 as I'm planning to Turbo it in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah comes 5 lug from factory.

Here in UK we have EP2 Sport which has the body kit same as it's on EP3 Type R apart from spoiler but I put the mugen one on, it comes with a D16V1 engine and also there's the EP3 Type R that comes with K20A2 engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts