Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to discreetly modify a d17a2 in 2001 civic 5 speed for circle track racing, which is restricted to minimal powertrain modifications. You can get away with stuff from other Honda's to an extent because it all looks 馃憖 the same. Currently have
Evap system disconnected and plugged off. Cold air intake is allowed and installed. P/s and others except alternator removed. Crank pulley shaved down to eliminate front belt drive weight on it. Heater core removed and looped. Just basically backyard mods. I have finally acquired another engine to throw on a stand and tinker with. Your not allowed to modify the engine for power gain but the rules get bent by saying you blew the engine and had to rebuild with closest to stock as possible. Im not a D series expert so that's why I'm here, more of a Chev small and big block guy, but whatevers burning petrol I'll smell it. So that's why I'm here for direction. I'm thinking deck the head is obvious. You don't want to port or polish the intake or exhaust because first couple tech inspects you go through they insert cameras into the head ports to inspect for mods. I know a Chevy small block you can advance the cam gear on the chain a couple degrees and it's a snot rocket at higher Rpms. I believe the d17a2 is interference but to what extent? Can it be played with? To us it doesn't have to run good at idle because it's life is lived at 2000 rpm and higher. At the track we run we are allowed to keep VTEC operational. So let's talk, any ideas on stock looking horsepower? Any internals that can be changed ("due to malfunction") that are considered stock but better? The engine won't get torn down until we become suspicious from consistent wins, if we were so lucky. So internals is a possibility. We currently use a non VTEC trans for better final drive gear on the track. Also car runs 2nd gear no higher, was thinking of trying to remove non used gears from the trans to lighten up engine torque if possible. The car handles great on the track, it's quicker than most in the turns but lacks power coming down the straight when next to the twin cam competitors. Car averages a 10th place finish. Just need some more pull down the stretch.

Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
Can you switch to non vtec? And use a reground cam? Or lock vtec pins in on position? The vtec on the d17a2 is really more of an economizer. Are ecu swaps allowed? A few mods like manifold swaps head milling, block decking, bottom end balancing and an ecu swap so it can be tuned properly with vtec locked could net you some torque and top end.

Registered
Can you discretely change the fuel system to a return style?

D16Y8 valvetrain conversion, port the exhaust outlets on the head, cut and reweld the d17 manifold flange to a factory d16z6 or d16y8 header (maintain the heat shield for extra points, and there is a ton of power right there.

BUT it will be running super lean. So you either need to trick the IAT and ECT into thinking the car is ice cold, or convert to a return-style fuel system, or just find a way to raise the fuel system pressure.

The stock d17 injectors will take 60psi of fuel no problem if they are clean.

That should unlock close to 15hp or more consistently across the upper midrange all the way to redline. The factory exhaust ports being opened up alone will help.

Reactions: Because Racecar

Registered
Speeduino inside the factory ecu casing will allow tuning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Can you switch to non vtec? And use a reground cam? Or lock vtec pins in on position? The vtec on the d17a2 is really more of an economizer. Are ecu swaps allowed? A few mods like manifold swaps head milling, block decking, bottom end balancing and an ecu swap so it can be tuned properly with vtec locked could net you some torque and top end.

Yes, we are allowed to disable VTEC. We could throw a non vtec engine in and just claim the body style wasn't VTEC originally. ECU swaps and tunes are madly frowned upon and some of the first to be checked. Valve covers might be pulled but most unlikely on a first win. I was thinking about the bottom end balancing myself already too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Can you discretely change the fuel system to a return style?

D16Y8 valvetrain conversion, port the exhaust outlets on the head, cut and reweld the d17 manifold flange to a factory d16z6 or d16y8 header (maintain the heat shield for extra points, and there is a ton of power right there.

BUT it will be running super lean. So you either need to trick the IAT and ECT into thinking the car is ice cold, or convert to a return-style fuel system, or just find a way to raise the fuel system pressure.

The stock d17 injectors will take 60psi of fuel no problem if they are clean.

That should unlock close to 15hp or more consistently across the upper midrange all the way to redline. The factory exhaust ports being opened up alone will help.
I like this idea. The route I would go is wiring resistance into the air or ect to trick it. That would be easier to hide then routing a return line to the naked eye. The toughest part with this is the porting of exhaust. That would probably be inspected by the second win. I could however bend the rules by having a valid excuse as to why it's ported. For example I blew debris in the ports and needed to clean it up as part of the head rebuild.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Speeduino inside the factory ecu casing will allow tuning.
They heavily inspect the ECUs. I have heard alot about chips being placed on the computer internally or something. But from what I know they will open them up after they throw them on a testing computer of their own.

BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
Honda Civic (seventh generation) - Wikipedia

"Shifting away from the 1.6 liter B-series engine, the seventh generation Civic Si adopted the K-series K20A3 engine used in the Acura RSX base model rated at 160 bhp (120 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 132 lbf鈰協t (179 N鈰卪) at 5,000 rpm.[8] With a redline of 6,800 rpm, the Si distanced itself from the narrow, high-rpm powerband engine of its predecessor, and as a result saw a 20 percent increase in torque"

k swap it since it came that way and was shipped to canada

Registered
Find the resistance tabels for the IAT and ECT sensors (in the manuals) and simply find the area your sensors hang out at, and add an offset resistor. No need to change things hugely (like adding massive resistance), and something like 20 degrees difference can change the fuel and ignition tabels a lot. Heck, colder IAT temps can increase your ignition advance as much as 3-4 degrees. Quite a lot on a stock setup.

Keep in mind, you would be adding fuel and advancing the timing by having these two sensors tricked. If you are on teh edge while racing, this can easily turn into parts scattering on the D17. They are NOT tough or durable engines. The d16y motors are FAR stronger.

Reactions: Because Racecar

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Honda Civic (seventh generation) - Wikipedia

"Shifting away from the 1.6 liter B-series engine, the seventh generation Civic Si adopted the K-series K20A3 engine used in the Acura RSX base model rated at 160 bhp (120 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 132 lbf鈰協t (179 N鈰卪) at 5,000 rpm.[8] With a redline of 6,800 rpm, the Si distanced itself from the narrow, high-rpm powerband engine of its predecessor, and as a result saw a 20 percent increase in torque"

k swap it since it came that way and was shipped to canada
Don't know if that ball would be playable. Might be better to do it and obtain a vin for one that came stock with it or a whole body shell. The techs aren't stupid they just will allow bending of the rules. I could do all that work and get away with it once but never again would they permit it on the track is the outcome I see. Do like the idea tho but if change body and motor I would prob grab an integra for this class.

Registered
Buy an EP3 if you do that. All K-series stuff looks pretty much identical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts