Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have manual 04 Civc Vi(Australian), I know its not the most powerful engine (96kw\120Hp) and that it is more fuel economic vehicle but would really like to gain more performance out of this puppy!!! will appreciate some info about this engine (D17A2) and any ideas on intake, exhaust, headers etc..... I been reading and searching the net and all these honda forums and have some ideas of what to look for but dont know what exactly will give me best performance out of this engine in particular :???: I dont want to spend the money if I will get nothing out of it at all but shurely I/E/H would give me more power wouldn't it? if so roughly how much of an increase? please give me some direction oh great ones

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
rage racing is developing a nice header for our cars right now, hold tight and they may have a real good one for naturally aspirated cars. as for the intake look at the aem cold air or v2, i know from personal experience about the cold air (has real good gains for the price). as for the exhuast your guess is as good as mine, i'm going to get the RS-R Ex Mag when i get the money, but i'm going for more of a sleeper look. do some research on the intake mani, i've some good ones, but i forgot where. just do some searching on google or yahoo or whatever. i hope this helps.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't waste your money, N/A is pretty ineffective with the D17, with I/H/E you're lookin at maybe an additional 12 whp. Not really worth the 1k you're spending. Turbos aren't really existant for our cars. Stafford Fabrications (www.staffordfabrications.com) has one out but their business rep is shady at best. Dezod (www.dezod.com) is coming out with one too but it won't be ready till early next year. Find a good shop and have them do custom if you want something reliable.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Dishwasher said:
Don't waste your money, N/A is pretty ineffective with the D17, with I/H/E you're lookin at maybe an additional 12 whp.

No way more like 2-3 horse for all that because I have all that and my car is no faster so I just made it a show car and put all my money into my EG for speed these d17s are worthless unless you boost them and even then that will cost alot of money and will not be reliable w/ out proper tuning because of alot of reasons.. Dont try and upgrade you Intake Mani because you will lose power by doing that unless you boost, Na wise they are no good for the D17s..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ah don't worry. Stuff is coming out everyday for our cars. There are plenty of headers that will help you gain power, but you need to look into high flow cats for them. I have found one that seemed to be the real deal but you need to pay attention to the details. With my 04 ex coupe i am running a 16.5 quarter at bristal tennessee already. Making that about a 15.5 at sea level. All this with only a K&N Cold air and a mufler system from resinater back. These cars run good for what they are, but I want more.

Have you seen the turbo kit that is made for this car on turbokits.com?

·
Registered
29 Posts
NA is not all that bad, I've got i/h/e megan cat delete and vafc2 so far and im putting down i think it was like 127 so far, and im running 15.7's consistent, and with crower making us internals that come out end of dec, or in jan 05, and we should be able to do more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A turbo would be less cash and faster. But to make more power N/A you need to raise your compression. Get some custom high compression pistons from race engineering. They made my low compression pistons for turbo. If you can't get pistons, try decking the head. A new intake manifold would be nice to; I have an Y8 on my D17A2.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well my D17A2 is already a v-tech. So I dont think that the head swap would make a difference on mine. I have seen one production turbo kit for my car but it is a non-street leagal kit and Virginia is a pain when it comes to mods like that. But I am gonna look into the piston swap though. I might make a turbo kit for my cat come spring if I can figure out these crazy computers they have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I took my car down to texas to see my bro in sonora, I'll have to give you a hollar there Jspek Inspired. I would be running arounf a 15.5 or 15.6 at about see level.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive been trying to figure out where the power is in this engine. Or where its the most limited. I guess it must be the head,and ECU. I bet if the cam profile was a little more aggressive it would be a different story. I mean there are plenty of 4cyl motors putting out way more horsepower. So it has to be something. Maybe a standalone is whats needed. Does motec work for honda's?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The power is mostly lost through the head and exhaust manifold. IMO at least. The cam is pretty good for OEM but the computer really slows things down.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was out looking at a EP2 civic tonight with the engine tore apart.. and all i have to say is that the d17a2 has the most pathetic exhaust manifold i have ever seen in my life. I swear the primaries are no bigger than 3/4".

Definatly would recomend I/H/E as well as port matching, and the y8 swap (if thats possible, didnt read much about that)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was just looking around Honda the other day and I read something that sparked an idea. The 2001-2004 civic GX (Natural gas powered) civic has the exact same block as all other 01-05 civics’ (The head and the intake manifold are different) but the GX has 12.5:1 compression pistons (really high because Natural gas needs high compression to run) they are the same specs are 9.5:1 and 9.9:1 pistons. (75mm) Someone should try to drop 12.5:1 GX pistons into another D17. They are only $30 each (brand New + you have to get rings and other stuff)). I wanted to see if this would work myself but I have a turbo, and Turbo and High compression = Bad news. What do you guys think?

ps: i think it has stronger rods also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts