Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, this is my first post at d-series.org and I wanted to thank you all for the great site & community.

Secondly comes the question:
With gas prices seemingly going insane, what kind of gas milage improvements have any of you D17 owners seen with a new intake? Not the entire manifold, mind you, just some specs for short ram or cold air intakes.

Also, I've heard arguments over plastic vs metal for intakes. I was considering the K&N 57 Series FIPK 57-3513, which is good for 4.8HP according to K&N. I've read this model pays for itself within a few months.

Looks/performance is not an issue, since I don't race my 02 EX Coupe. It's just a D17A2 and I just want some seriously insane milage to make my SUV driving co-workers jealous.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide and again for the great site!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Honestly, I don't know that you will save that much gas with an intake. Best bets for mileage...

Easy on the throttle, keep revs under 3k or so.
Wash and wax regularly.
Lower + front lip, reduces drag
Tires at 35-38 psi, proper alignment + balance.

If you want to get really anal, you could tape off all of your gaps between body panels

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't lowered it, but that isn't cost-effective for what I need. I'm already easy on the throttle, and I like to keep my cruising to around 1800-2300 RPM. Any lower than that and I waste gas lugging the engine--Except for highway which runs a little over 3K RPM @ ~ 60mph. This is the EX so it does have a tad shorter gearing, which is nice since you have In the future, I'm planning on going with a free flowing exhaust to compliment the intake. No one out there has seen more efficient fuel usage since removing/replacing the factory's restrictive anti-noise intake?

By serious mileage, I'm talking 40MPG on a fairly consistant basis.

And thanks for the quick reply Shifty35!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Really the 7th gen civics, in stock form, R pretty much fuel efficient w/out mods. Mods may help but not much. I've done the intake w/ a V2, headers, larger exhaust, etc. and it moves a little faster. But as far as mpg goes I really haven't tracked that. Take of the heat shield to your exhaust mani. and compare it to older gen civics and you'll C just how restrictive this model is!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a custom cold air intake on my d17a1. before i was getting 38 mpg on the highway, now im looking at about 43-45. Its all in were the actual filter is at. mine is at the very bottom like most cold airs, but i did it myself with some madrel bent aluminum piping, and had it sit a little off of the inside of the front bumper, so that i couls get as much air flow as possible. If you do this, WATCH OUT FOR PUDDLES!!!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I've decided

I think I'm going to go with the AEM short ram intake. It is like $130 and seems like it might fit the bill. I'll record my average milages for a couple weeks and post them here.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
the best way to improve the gas mileage for the ex model is a tranny swap with a lx tranny. i know this sounds stupid, but it will keep your rpms lower than the tranny fro the ex...and if you are fealing REALLY daring, do some internal swapping of gears between the two trannies to get the best of both worlds...

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Keep it stock.. Dont waste money on those Aftermarket intakes, they will not help or give more power..

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
berettagtz117 said:
Keep it stock.. Dont waste money on those Aftermarket intakes, they will not help or give more power..
chances are its only gonna lower your milage. because the intake sounds good at higher rpm you're gonna want to floor it more often. well...that is what's happening to me

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, changing intake won't do much but you can add headers and "from experience" I can tell you that on highway miles you'll save quite a bit of gas. Just don't floor it too much, shift at around 2200 rpms and you'll see the diff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts