Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard would it be to put this swap in i guess im asking would i need to change the hubs for the axles witch motor mounts do i need. to use my old from my d16y7 or the ones for the d17 and do you think ill need to fabricate anything to make this work or will it drop in. i want to find this out before i buy this swap.thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
2018 TRD
3,610 Posts
Does the D17A2 come with its ECU? Which is OBD-2 and correct me if I'm wrong, the Y7 is OBD-1. I would think that will be the main stumbling block vice the fabrication issues. I know its not a case of drop-in and go. Car length and exhaust mounting points will be different as well - not a big deal if you a have a welder. The 7th gens have a cable shift (I assume you're going MT) instead of the rods that the D16s have. If you're serious about this, you have a lot more homework to do.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Wow, that would be a very difficult swap for ...really not that much more power

Much as I don't like to say it I would blow money a B16A2 before doing that. At least the mounts would be halfway easy.

a '97 would be OBD 2a, don't know what the d17a2 classifies as. OBD 2c? 3?

So what's wrong with your y7?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
y7 is dead and i recycled it i can get the whole d17 swap for 700 it has 35k on it and thanks for the replys

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hard to find a d16 with 35k miles for that price. the d17 swap is comming with ecu, harness,hubs,wheels with tires,mounts,tranny with shift cable and i only have to go 100 miles to pick it up so 35 bucks in gas and im having a hard time finding a good swap for the right price..so im guessing this is going to be harder than i planed by the way you guys are talking :hammer: uhg this sucks lol thanks all that replyed im soo tierd of seeing my civic sit with no motor for 6 months its going to drive me to :alky: lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i threw you guys a rep thanks for the help.if anyone has anymore info on this swap plz let me know thanks

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
holy fuck please dont put that motor in there. check out the 7thgen forum...not a lot of action. not much you can do with that engine.

and even if you could find a y8 with, say, 80k...its still a honda motor. it will last if you barely take care of it.

do you even know anyone that would do/has done the swap? man i wouldnt do it...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys i think my mind is made up not to do it now if i can ever find a good y8 or y7 not much luck where i live i reped you all for the help thanks soo much for keeping me from making the mistake how many post to get to see the f/s stuff here i forget hope i can find one soon its killing me spring is soon and my car club is on my back to get a motor and no they dont have one around :hammer:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Good luck finding a motor. I know around where I live the only Honda engines I ever find in junkyards are old 8v units and the occasional a6.

Sometimes you can talk to a junkyard guy to find one. They oftentimes have a network amongst places, so if that particular yard doesn't have a part, they can send you to another one that does.

Autozone could get you a y7/y8 (same process as above, they just get it shipped), but their prices are a little high for used motors.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks green hornet ya i checked autozone 750 bucks for one high miles,lowest mileage motor from a yard around here is 90k for $350 no harness or ecu and a tranny is like 300.00 unless i do pullapart yard and only garentee there is if it dosnt work you can exchange it .and i really dont feel like pulling and putting 10 motors and trannys till i find one that runs right..and if i do hmotors or a site id end up paying about 1k for a motor by the time i get it shipped to me...everytime i open my garage it makes me sick and im running out of things to do to my civic with no engine lol.ive moved the battery the fuse box under from the hood..and ill never sell it..but anyways sorry so long of a post.i cant talk to my wife about it shes heard it so much shes sick hearing it. so i decided to whine about it to you all.thanks for the replys.ill go back to my :alky:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts