Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm going to try these online forums again, you usually just get shit talked too on these things. I have recently sold my 95 hatch with a z6 and got a 01 Ex civic coupe with d17a2. The car has 199,945 miles. Upgraded head with stage 2 crower cam w/ springs an retainers. Since I have owned the vehicle I have fixed 2 cel codes. One for a crank sensor and a tps. Also have got new ignition coils with plugs and also cleaned out throttle body plus ran sea foam through the gas tank. Some of you will probably have a problem with that but it hasn't ever given me a problem in the past, the shit works!

Now onto my problem, the car keeps wanting to Throw a radom misfire code for cylinders 2-4. It stumbles very badly trying to roll out from a dead stop with rpms lower than 2. Seems like so far if you ride the clutch an roll out at 2000 It's fine. Same with second gear sometimes. You give it gas and the car bogs down and almost dies. I have been reading online with the stage 2 cam that the stock Ecu can't make the proper changes to fuel/air ratio? I'm completely lost at this point, only other thing I can think to check is the injectors.

I am writing this while at work so I know I'm forgetting some tiny details thatll probably help.
Just write back with any info you have that might help and I'll get back to you soon as I can.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Do a couple of things just to get them out of the way

Compression test and leak down test. These 2 will confirm there is no mechanical deficiency with the motor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about getting the compression tested but wasnt sure. I'll have to see if I can get it done this week

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
It very well could the be cam.
Something was added to the motor that the ecu doesn't know about.
You replace the spark plugs to see if that does anything but really I believe it's lack of tuning.
The cam gear could be off causing lag in the lower rpms. But really a tune and proper time cam and gear is more or less what you need.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I know the car is not tuned for the cam. Previous owner told me to hang onto his number in case something comes up. I'm trying to get up with him to see when it all was Installed and if any issues afterwards.

Let me ask another question, the cam gear is the stock gear but everything else stage 2. To me It's a bit strange they skipped on the gear. Is it unusual to run upgraded head parts with a stock gear? Would it be better to get something aftermarket or is the stock better just for an everyday car?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
OK, Im just clarifying.

You bought a civic with a stage 2 cam and valvetrain already installed? Correct?

There was no issues when you bought this, drove it around, ran fine when you handed over the cash.. correct?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
What coils and plugs are used?

Did you replace the TPS?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
OK, Im just clarifying.

You bought a civic with a stage 2 cam and valvetrain already installed? Correct?

There was no issues when you bought this, drove it around, ran fine when you handed over the cash.. correct?
These need answering.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
As far as I know the car is not tuned for the cam. Previous owner told me to hang onto his number in case something comes up. I'm trying to get up with him to see when it all was Installed and if any issues afterwards.

Let me ask another question, the cam gear is the stock gear but everything else stage 2. To me It's a bit strange they skipped on the gear. Is it unusual to run upgraded head parts with a stock gear? Would it be better to get something aftermarket or is the stock better just for an everyday car?
I have run a stage 2 cam with a stock gear before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bosch plugs and coils I got off majestic Honda.com. have to look to see what manufacturer.
Yes tps has been replaced and calibrated. Did one on my old z6 so not my first time changing that out.

Yes I bought the car with everything installed, drove it around and at that point it just seemed like it needed a tune up you know. Slight hesitation, ran Okay once you were going.

I have every service record from 01 when the car was bought off the lot. So my first thought was nothing to serious probably just a few things need Replacing like any car/Honda with 200k

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
I got 200k on my all stock 2005. Not a thing like that wrong with it, stock D17a2. It could be that cam and headwork throwing it off. Should maybe try a stock head from a junkyard and see if that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still have all the stock parts that came out the head. I could just swap it out and try it that way but I don't have the proper tools to remove the springs an retainers. Really don't feel like trying it all the sketchy ways on YouTube either, haha

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm just going to look for a head to swap out the one I have.
That'll be easier and a quicker job for me to do just because ive done it before .

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to remember to post an update if I find a new head

1 - 18 of 18 Posts