Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, friends... Sorry if this is NOT the right forum to post this question. If it's not the right place, please point me to the right one, thanks!

I have a D17A2 Turbocharged Civic 2003 EX (Brazilian, no ABS) that has 227whp now, but we are building it to reach the 500whp... So far I had NO issues with the tranny or axles drag racing the car, but we are going to use Quaife LSD and slicks to get near 8,2-8,5s in the 1/8mi with stock weight...
My doubt is, how much power can the stock tranny/axles handle? I've been searching for forged gears and axles for this engine/car, but I just could not found any. Do u guys know any options of stronger axles and gears (or treatments to make the stock one stronger) ?

P.s.: D17 parts here in Brazil are SO MUCH EXPENSIVE, that's why I'm very interested in make sure that mine will support enought :)

Thank you very much!

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
stock tranny was designed to handle around 120-+ hp , but your results may vary.
axles are the same, however both seem to handle more then double that often with little problems. i dont think yours will take 500 and slicks for to long.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But do we, owners of D17A2 engines and LX/EX 2003 civics have any after market options ? I wouldn't mind to have to adapt other cars stronger axles too if this is possible...

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Hello, friends... Sorry if this is NOT the right forum to post this question. If it's not the right place, please point me to the right one, thanks!

I have a D17A2 Turbocharged Civic 2003 EX (Brazilian, no ABS) that has 227whp now, but we are building it to reach the 500whp... So far I had NO issues with the tranny or axles drag racing the car, but we are going to use Quaife LSD and slicks to get near 8,2-8,5s in the 1/8mi with stock weight...
My doubt is, how much power can the stock tranny/axles handle? I've been searching for forged gears and axles for this engine/car, but I just could not found any. Do u guys know any options of stronger axles and gears (or treatments to make the stock one stronger) ?

P.s.: D17 parts here in Brazil are SO MUCH EXPENSIVE, that's why I'm very interested in make sure that mine will support enought :)

8.2 1/8 miles arent that fast man... running 7.2 right now with a completly stock d series trans
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
stock tranny was designed to handle around 120-+ hp , but your results may vary.
axles are the same, however both seem to handle more then double that often with little problems. i dont think yours will take 500 and slicks for to long.

seat time/ driving skills my friend... over 400hp on a stock z6 tranny right now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me, 8.2s in Brazil in our category, no ligh weight (we cannot even take off the spare tire in the trunk), is VERY FAST... The record in the 1/8 is 7.2 with a Bi turbo Mustang of over 1000 HP and an aWD lancer f 700w. U can check google to see what I mean :)

But, about my doubt, that is NOT related to timeslip, do u have any infor
mation. Im real afraid of breaking everything hehe

Thank u and merry xmas!

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
as long as you pre-load when launching and you have the LSD i dont think you will have an issue, granted most d-series trans. start to have issues around 400-450hp. Idk about the d17 though

·
Registered
131 Posts
i couldnt even find an lsd for my d17? did you say you found a Quaife LSD ???
and i havnt found anything as for new forged gears for our cars.
but you can try Cryogenic Tempering (metal hardening) where you send your stock gears to get treated.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
stronger axles arent needed IMO. if you can come off the line right they willl last a long time. plus you want to have a weak link somwhere in there, and dont want the tranny being it, id rather break an axle an spend 5mins swapping out and lifetime warranty axles. than all the money to fix/new tranny.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For what it's worth, Andyman97 was putting down 489whp through a D17A2 transmission without breaking anything before he parted out.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Trust me, 8.2s in Brazil in our category, no ligh weight (we cannot even take off the spare tire in the trunk), is VERY FAST... The record in the 1/8 is 7.2 with a Bi turbo Mustang of over 1000 HP and an aWD lancer f 700w. U can check google to see what I mean :)

But, about my doubt, that is NOT related to timeslip, do u have any infor
mation. Im real afraid of breaking everything hehe

Thank u and merry xmas!
damn... lol i can beat a 1000hp mustang in your country!!! lol why are the times soo low...?? just shitty quality tracks?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
www.dezod.org sells the Quaife LSD for D17 (it's the one projected for Honda FIT, so you'll only need to use the ring studs from Honda FIT)...

I'll Nitrate and Cryogen them. Here it's cheap!

Thank you!

i couldnt even find an lsd for my d17? did you say you found a Quaife LSD ???
and i havnt found anything as for new forged gears for our cars.
but you can try Cryogenic Tempering (metal hardening) where you send your stock gears to get treated.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if you would beat 'em running here in our tracks and without ANY lightweight... Our times are low because the ones that rules drag racing here are all dumb %#$%. They love to make rules and rules and rules to keep the cars SLOW.

Welcome to the 3rd world drag racing hehe

damn... lol i can beat a 1000hp mustang in your country!!! lol why are the times soo low...?? just shitty quality tracks?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know his project. It's a state of the art D17A2 Turbocharged. The problem is that I just LOVE Drag Racing (I have other VTI Nitrous N/A for Drag too) and I know D.R. just can break anything anytime hehe
That's why I just prefer to be sure it will handle all the power in THIS situation...

For what it's worth, Andyman97 was putting down 489whp through a D17A2 transmission without breaking anything before he parted out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi again!

I just found some companies in Brazil that take my gears and do forged ones (Bertolutti and Sapinho).

I'll quote with them to do my 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears at least...

I'll let you know if their good/cheap...

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I would do the 3-4 before 1 &2 1st and 2 gear have less load on them, most trannys that blow apart the gearing are in 3rd-4th. thats when load on is the gearing the longest. but if its not to bad, id throw 1st and 2nd in to.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're right. But, in my case, our Drag Ways here are 1/8 mile, so I will not put 4th and 5th... For 1/4 it would be better, I agree!

Thank you for the information anyway!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts