Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Iv had an 04 DX sedan since it was new bought it off my parents, and have had it for a year now and after checking out most of the forums on this site i wanna get started on modifying it, now everyone is talking about swapping the A1 head for an A2, roughly how much would that come out too? and also is the exhaust setup for a DX different from an EX? cuz i had a friend telling me about the EX not having a Cat where the manifold is.

http://d-series.org/forums/images/smilie/wacko.gif

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I have no idea how much a A2 head swap will cost!

And yes I'd assume the header on a DX is different than the header on the EX. On the less sporty models Honda typically placed the Cat closer to the exhaust ports (Helps with emissions). After the exhaust manifold, I'd assume that they're the same. Check Hondapartsdeals to verify.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to get that much HP out of a D17, Not my thing and I really don't care for them.

Advice; Search. And when you're done Search some more! It sounds like you're really REALLY new to cars, learn before you grab a wrench.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the ex exhaust has the cat, back past the front tires the dx, hx, lx have the cat on the header it's self. you can get an lx header I believe megan makes one. head swap depends if you have a shop do it is probably not going to be cheap if you are good enough and can handle a timing belt change you can pick up an A2 head for about $200 and just grab a new headgasket. just make sure it is in time. if you have the a2 head I highly recommend the crower stage 1 cam it is easy gives you a nice increase in power with no tuning and responds to bolt ons where normally the d17 doesn't

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright sounds good thanks guys, and yeaa i just wanted to change the head first but if its $200 thats not too bad where abouts can i find one ? or should i try the junkyard? and if i do swap the head, and crower stage 1 cams should i change the ECU to an a2 also?

·
Registered
72 Posts
hey thought i'd let you know that i did a2 head swap with stage 1 cam and its a kickass setup. ive got the megan header and 2.25 exhaust and i love it. most people will say the best thing to do is get a ex ecu and maybe a new harness or use your stock harness and repin for vtec and live with the CEL from the EGR. i went a different route and used apexi afc neo. this installs in under an hour and will give you vtec control and it is very very easy to use. i like it. you can also slightly adjust fuel which is a bonus. just an idea. to get one used you're probably looking at 200ish. maybe less. if you are interrested pm me because i got hondata kpro so i wont have a need for it in the future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i dont think i will be doin Turbo for the car in the future just wanna keep it at Exhaust,Intake,Headers, and some engine tuning what stage Cams would u recommend?

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
How long is a piece of string.

How much power do you want.

How much low speed performance are you prepared to sacrifice.

How hard are you prepared to rev it to get the power.

How much fuel efficiency are you prepared to sacrifice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
iuonno about the String, but i dont want to sacrifice too much fuel efficiency either just want more power to the wheels honestly the D17a1 is just pussy, im not lookin to go upto 300HP or anything but even going up by 50-60Hp would be more than enough

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
You are looking to increase an already fairly high output engine by 40%.

That won't happen NA without a real serious cam and good exhaust and maybe a bit of head and inlet system work.

The serious cam eill kill idle and power below about 4000 rpm. Needing to keep the revs up and the overlap the cam will need will kill mpg.

It would be a lot easier if you could use the head of a vtec version of the engine to start with.

You will also need a tunable ECU which I think is more difficult on an ODB2 engine.

Also raising the compression a bit will help. If you go to a serious cam, the compression will need a substantial boost to optimise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LMAO really now? but how is it on gas cruising in the city? cuz with the engine u gotta punch it harder to get the power burns too much gas, well im still thinkin bout a SWAP Cuz i found a Engine and Tranny plus all components/parts for swap for about $1200 just wanna find out what kinda deal i can get on a swap

1 - 20 of 21 Posts