Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped a replacement D17A1 into a 2005 Civic that I just bought and now I am left with the original engine which needs rebuilding. A couple of phone calls to some local engine shops revealed that a rebuild would cost me $1500 (my replacement engine only set me back $600).
So seeing that I could still replace this next engine twice over before a rebuild would make sense, my options are:

1) Hang on to it and put it on my engine stand for spare parts
2) See if I can build it for turbo on the cheap
3) Scrap the entire engine and keep all of the sensors, COP parts and other things I can strip
4) Do option 3 but keep the head somewhere

Option 1 sounds great until you realize that you have to keep that engine somewhere in your garage.
Option 2 is probably more expensive than going K
Option 3 is something I may regret if I need the head
Option 4 will leave me with a head I will probably never use

I'm a big boy and can think for myself, but what would you do in this situation? Is there any value in keeping the extra motor?

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
I honestly can't think of a reason to keep the bastard D.

...but if you want to keep it. Don't put it on a stand. Put it on a low-slung furniture dolly, wrap it up, and stuff it in a corner or under a bench somewhere.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why did it need replacing?

Rings, bearings and a short block build should be really cheap...
I turned it on briefly. Didn't sound good. I bought the car and had a new engine swapped in short order. Bought the car Saturday had the new motor in yesterday. Got the car for $400.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts