Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 LX Coupe 5MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '01 LX coupe for my first car when I was 15 (17 now) and was recently looking into doing some light modification. I know I won't be making much power without forced induction which I have little interest in, purely based on the fact that I start university in a week and don't have a whole bunch of money available. I'm in the process of doing something to the effect of a track car, already have some Tein coilovers and I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on 17" Core Racing Wheels, so it will handles very well. I'm not looking for a bunch of power, just something that will give a little "oomph" out of the corners. I've done a bit of searching, looking at intake manifolds and throttle bodies, just wanted to run it by the experts.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Shit; if you’re a college student, you don’t have much money, and you already have some suspension components and decent tires, I’d personally just invest your time in running the car on the track as-is and have fun while learning to drive. Guarantee you 110% that seat time/experience in a racing environment will provide you with far more significant gains than any small power adders like an intake, intake manifold, exhaust, etc..

Of course nobody listens to that kind of advice so I’d probably start with a cold air intake with a good filter since the stock ECU can actually accommodate for lower intake temperatures. The other stuff, like a throttle body or intake manifold, really requires some degree of tuning to see the true benefits.

·
Registered
2001 LX Coupe 5MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably do nothing until April. Can't do much in the winter anyway, and it gives me time to accumulate money for that stuff. I'm still pretty new to "racing", I drive around on windy roads in the mountains all the time, the only real issue is hill climbs where it loses all the momentum and power. Never been to an actual track, so we'll see how that goes, hopefully I'll get out before the snow hits.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
I would say leave the car as is also and have the car tuned they could easily pull more ponies with a tune than with I/H/E and/or CAI.
Make sure you have good spark plugs and a clean air filter.
Like stated above seat time more than anything will help the most.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Get an EX transmission and drop it in, better gearing for those uphill climbs and pulls.

There isn't a bolt on intake manifold for the d17 that I know of. The plastic unit in the stock one is not a bad design though.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Honestly, man. I'd see if you can trade/sell the car for an older Civic.

EF/EG/EK, doesn't really matter. Even stock vs. stock you'd come out ahead.

·
Premium Member
S
30 Posts
I agree with LowF. If you decide to stick with your current car. I would recommend buying a spare set of wheels with your "track" tires. Swap out at the track and get some time behind the wheel.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Best bang for the buck is to have a mahcine shop bang out an intake manifold flange adapter and run a d16z6 or d16y8 intake manifold.

Worthwhile if you can get the intake manifold for under 40-50 bucks, and a flange adapter can be purchased if no machine shop is nearby.

Else making sure the battery is in good condition (reduce alternator activity), do a good set of ground wires, make sure the spark plugs are healthy, and like stated above, get some seat time!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed with low Flyin I have a 2000lx n stock vs a 01 with full exhaust n CAI n the d16y8 is faster than any d17 I do want the coil packs tho as Honda distribution system is always a point of failure. But I digress bro smile u got Teins! N your rims are kinda big that will slow u down a bit an increase wear in your suspension as well. But aye ur 19 u gotta look good right? Just promise us u will sway from cheap mufflers an big wings without knowing anything about downforce an having the front splitter adjusted to counter rear wing. Ahhh I digress yet again.

·
Registered
2001 LX Coupe 5MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I last posted, went ahead and bought/installed a short throw shifter and I've just been practicing, getting pretty solid now. I've been looking into turbocharging the car, found a whole bunch of forums relating to it but they're all 10+ years old, so I can't really figure out if those budgets are still accurate. Really looking for any reliable power at this point. Not gonna replace the car (sentimental value), so I'm really looking for something I can daily but be able to have a blast with. I've also looked into engine swaps, but again, the threads were old and I'm unsure if those budgets are still accurate.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
If you want something straightforward, simple, and dont mind spending a bit more money, I would look into slowly piecing together an RSX swap.

Basically unbolt your struts and engine cradle, and bolt in the RSX stuff, and the wiring required.

You will want to of course research on which years work best, but that is probably the easiest way to get a large increase in performance, yet still retain good reliability.

Making the jump to a running RSX parts car would be best, as you would have access to any and all brackets, wiring, clips, etc...

Exhaust would most likely be the only real obstacle, if at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I second leaving the engine alone and spending any money on tires and suspension and track and driving school if you can. if you want to get a second engine or trans as spare great but a turbo is only going to complicate things. a lowered geared trans like it was suggested is also a better idea. Oh Brakes of course but try different pads braking feel and set up is super important

If you are just starting out at the track you will be learning to use the whole engine range you can do well enough just learing to redline your engine

Ive run the A/S3 and A/S3+ the A/S3 are trackable but the A/s3+ have a different sidewall outer blocking and are not Trackable they Would be dagerous especialy if new!!!!!!!!!!

Tires change by the batch they are made in,,, and even trying to use the same name is hard the AS/3 even came in different speed rating for the same size and were different tires.

I was last on Firehawk 500 they had nice outer blocking for a street track tire. But those have changed or been discontinused I think.

get the best top summer performance and some slicks try different tire size set ups and pressure setups Tires alone are enough to learn about at first

Oh sway bars you will want to try diffent sizes and adjustments Im actualy going to be making several adjustable sets for myself because different tires and shock settings always change the way I want the car to transition anyway Tires Brakes Tires Brakes !

!!!!!!!!Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!! in case you miss the above A/S3+ would be Dangerous!!!!!! they are not A/S3 they have to much outer blocking and wrong sidewall,,, tread depth,,, and the transition are unpredictable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh sway bars you will want to try diffent sizes and adjustments Im actualy going to be making several adjustable sets for myself because different tires and shock settings always change the way I want the car to transition anyway Tires Brakes Tires Brakes !
Completely agreed!! My Civic EG9 Ferio is a blast to drive, but my tires are dead toasted and spinss everywhere :&

1 - 14 of 14 Posts