Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mk3 Golf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry i dont have time to research, but i blew up my d17a1 and i want to put a d17a2 and i was wondering if i could run the stock ECU and retain all stock wiring, and just not run VTEC temporarily. thanks for your help in advance guys. :3dtard:

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your going to put a d17a2 in, minus will hook up vtec? I believe all you need is a ecu for the d17a2 motor and run the v tec wires/knock sesior. Without it, it runs like crap. Help this helps.

·
Registered
Mk3 Golf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was hardly a coherent statement but thank you. Let me clarify even more. I dont want to buy an ecu nor do i have time to run wires. I just want to know if I could "slap" in a v-tec motor and run it off my non-vtec ecu and just not hit v-tec. I need a motor for my dd and I just want to upgrade while im at it. I dont want to rev it out or anything. I need a car. Thanks again.

·
Registered
Mk3 Golf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please help me out guys I need to order this motor and get things going. As soon as possible!!!

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
yes you can run a vtec motor off of a non vtec ecu. you just won't have vtec and i think some of the fuel/ignition tables are different

·
Registered
Mk3 Golf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. Thanks guys. So glad to be going v-tec. speedfoos sent me a map a while back and now i can use it. muhahaha

·
Registered
2001 Honda Civic Ex
52 Posts
im just saying that the d17a2 is a VTEC-E motor. so in reality, its going to run quite crappy until you get a tuning solution to run vtec. VTEC engages at 4500 i believe...but after that point is when the motor runs on all 4 valves per cylinder. below that it operates on three. with VTEC disabled, you will be running on three valves per cylinder until you get VTEC wired. Some food for thought

·
Registered
Honda Civic
213 Posts
You'll probably be in limp mode as well. So you will basically hit the rev limiter at 4k. You should just pick up a vtec controller aka vafc2. That way all you have to do is run a wire for vtec and it will run just fine.

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
I did this for a while after my old A1 non-vtec hydrolocked from a big flood time i had at my home town. I replaced the motor with an a2 (vtec) and ran it with the nothing but the stock ECU for a few long months. It was EXTRA SLOW and you could feel at about 3300rpm where it really slowed up where vtec-e should have opened the other valve. Later when i came back from being stationed in Texas i bought an Apexi Neo and got that hooked up, simply running to the vtec solenoid...since then it's worked like a charm. Felt a significant difference actually. :) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ya your car will deffinitely run. i've had a few times where my vtec wire has become disconnected on my d17a1 with a2 headswap. its fine. i have stage 1 cam which deffinitely makes a difference in the lower rev band. d17 vtec isnt that bad if u get sweet cams for it and get it tuned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts