Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions i have about the D17A1. I have a 2003 civic that i swapped the D17a2 to a D17a1 non vtec and realized that there is no vtec because of the computer. I then swapped the D17a1 head with a D17a2 head with vtec, same original computer so everything should have been good to go but vtec still isn't engaging. So i have double checked timing, crank sensor, cam sensor, vtec solenoid, oil pressure and new ECM flashed by honda still no vtec. I am about to toss a gas can in it, light it up and roll it off a cliff! lol
If anyone has any ideas as where to look now it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,479 Posts
I am about to toss a gas can in it, light it up and roll it off a cliff! lol
If you end up doing this please get a video for me, ive been wanting to do that with my wifes 03 and several dozen customers 7th gens for ages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any fault codes?
I had a P1259 (vtech malfunction) and P0355 (crankshaft position sensor). Since then I ran a jumper between the oil switch and then vetc solenoid cleared codes drove it and now I only have the P0355. I have replaced the crank position sensor and I have crank signal but when driving the car it starts hesitating and stalling at around 3500 rpm in any gear (manual) and can’t go over 70mph.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Check your wiring, often the belt shreds and flaps against that harness that goes down the back of the block, it can either be obviously chewed up or sometimes just be beat up in the split loom enough that signal goes whacky with engine vibration. That code is going to disable vtec, and activate the 3500rpm limp home limiter to prevent damage while the ecu cannot effectively regulate ignition timing.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Side note, I cant remember at the moment if the oil jet is in the block on the d17 non vtec and I can't find the pictures at the moment of the last one I rebuilt, there's a thought on the vtec malfunction code to look into, that would cause no engagement even with the pressure switch jumped.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Yank the oil jet out of teh rear oil feed hole. AKA, remove the ehad again.

EDIT, missed the 70mph speed limit and 3500 rpm issues.

Diagnose those. vtec not working is not going to cause these issues, so fix them first.

double and triple check mechanical timing. ONE tooth off on the d17 is enough to make it shit itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.