1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
Happy New Year!
All the Best!

I friend of mine has a D17 engine in 7th gen Civic. I think is a D17A1 (LX engine). The engine doesn't work properly when he stays too long stationary (in a traffic) or, if he drives too nervously. The problem comes when the engine temp. get a bit hotter, but the engine was never overheated and the temp. level is where it should be. The oil, coolant and spark plugs are all fine. The fan is working properly as well.

For example he doesn't have problem in the winter, only in hot days and when stay too long in traffic.

The CEL turns on with many errors about multiple sensors. The CEL is off now, because, as I said, he doesn't have problem in the winter. He said the CEL dons't throws off a coil problem.

What do you think the problem would be?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think you should watch the radiator fan..
If it doesnt come up then its not cooling the engine.
Then you should short it so it whould always work then see if it goes hot again or not.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
If he is having issues in heat, and not in winter, might be something as simple as a thermostat stuck halfway or such.

thermostat gaskets are cheap, as are the thermostats. pop out the current thermostat, and drive without one for a few days. Make sure to idle the engine for 2-3 minutes without a thermostat, as it takes FAR longer for the engine to warm up. you do not want to be driving hard.

The multiple sensors throwing codes sounds like it could be a wiring harness issue with a ground. There should be a few under the hood. Initial of course is the battery ground. make sure its not corroded. another is the transmission to chassis ground. Not sure if 7th gen civics had a thermostat ground wire, but check that if it exists.

I think you should watch the radiator fan..
If it doesnt come up then its not cooling the engine.
Then you should short it so it whould always work then see if it goes hot again or not.

He literally stated the fans were working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts