Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the question is what exact ECU to get to convert a 2005 DX to swap in a D17a1 without EGR?
threw a rod and destroyed block and valves on a 2005 DX. i have a D17a1 without EGR to drop in to the '05. not sure what exact donor vehicle engine came from. i assume i can swap ECU from 01-03 DX or LX and get it flashed so it won't look for the EGR anymore, then the CEL goes off, and can pass inspection.
i'd appreciate any input.
i'm fairly amateur and excited to keep a little civic going.
thanks y'all!

·
Registered
4d EG manual rack/trans low n slow
287 Posts
That is our cousin engine, he was a crack baby, so we don't acknowledge him here.
However, I would hazard a guess with: one that came without an EGR, if they made one like that.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,479 Posts
Doesn't the intake from the 05 fit on the new long block? Pretty sure there is no pressure differential sensor on the egr, just position sensor, so as long as the egr valve still moves on command from ecu it won't care if there is a port actually feeding said egr valve. My wifes 03 has an egr valve, but the port was plugged when I tore the head off at 176k miles and it's never thrown an egr code unless I unplugged it(I did just to test).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Georgia Eg, that explains the little bit of D17A1 info.
the why is bc i have an 05 Civic DX w D17A1 w EGR oem, that blew up.
Oldcivicjoe, thanks for input. i'm gonna drop that engine in today and then plug in the EGR see what happens. of course, there is no port on the block for the egr to actually operate.
you also answered the real succinct question: did all 01-03 D17A1 engines run without EGR. your wife's 03 says NO.
thanks y'all.

i'd certainly appreciate any other input. the goal here is to get this car up to spec for stringent emissions given passing inspection has to connect OBD2 to the state.
thanks y'all.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
All you have to do is swap the coolant crossover/bridge over from the old engine onto the new engine.

ALL D17 engines havee the EGR casting on the intake. The 01-03 DX/LX engines simply use a block off gasket to prevent intake build-up.

Take a few minutes and look at both engines. You can learn a lot.

EDIT 01-03 EX vtec civics had EGR. 04-05 I believe is when all models D17 got EGR.

Dont forget to swap the O2 sensor if a cat manifold came with the enw engine. the 04-05 civics use a wideband O2 wired like a 4wire narrowband. They are NOT compatable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did swap that housing last night bc it appeared to work to me, then i read your post. excited to see if i didn't set myself up for emissions problems!
thanks mattliston.
for O2 sensor, you saying i could swap in an older narrowband sensor? that gonna throw things off with rest of sensors, fuel injection, etc?
thank you

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
No, I am saying if the car, harness, and ecu are all 2004 or 2005, you MUST maintain the 04-05 style wideband that looks like a 4wire narrowband.

The 01-03 stuff is 0 to 1v, the 04-05 is 0v to 5v, meaning you will fry something if you mix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts