Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forums as I just found them after about 2yrs later of owning a D17. I think this is awesome that people out there actually appreciate the D-series.
I've also got people locally talking about B series or people on line talking about k20 swaps. I love my A1.

Ok. What I'm wanting to know is whether or not A1 and A2 aftermarket and/or stock parts can work on either engine. Say for example, when you search ebay for headers there are pretty much headers only for EX, maybe once a week or so some weird ceramic headers for the 'LX'?

Guess what I am saying is, if its for a D17, do I need to worry about if is meant for LX or EX because of measurements..

Sorry if I made no sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The headers for the ex don't fit on the lx downpipe. the lx have the catalytic convereter attached to the manifold. The better way is swap the entire exhaust pipe from the ex. If not go to a muffler.

About other almost all parts for one model (lx, dx) fit the other (ex). the most difference is the ex have the VTEC-E, sunroof, rear sway bar...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are the ecu's the same for both cars?
the way I see it, vtec only kicks in cuz the ecu tells it too. I've heard of mods that change when the vtec kicks in. if this is true will my d17a1 ecu work with the d17a2 engine?

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,665 Posts
A1 and A2 injectors are different. Well at least the part numbers are different.

You can check the compatibilty between these 2 engines to your heart's content by looking up the part numbers on slhonda.com. What this tells you is that if the part numbers are the same - it's the same part and compatible between the 2 engines. If the part numbers are different, then they probably are not compatible but they still might be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The headers for the ex don't fit on the lx downpipe. the lx have the catalytic convereter attached to the manifold. The better way is swap the entire exhaust pipe from the ex. If not go to a muffler.

About other almost all parts for one model (lx, dx) fit the other (ex). the most difference is the ex have the VTEC-E, sunroof, rear sway bar...

I'm brand new to the forum and I am wanting to know a little more about this... I already have a cat back on my LX but I am trying to study up on EX headers... So here's what I understand so far: I can swap the header for an EX and get a hi flow cat and still be able to attach it to my existing kit? WHat am I missing?

·
Registered
120 Posts
your lx cat is right off the exhaust manifold, the ex is located about a foot back from the oil pan. im not %100 sure (its been a while) but its not gonna bolt up if you get a ex header and cat. you'll need a ex catback, which btw isnt worth messin with cuz the hp gains are crap for the $.

·
Banned
209 Posts
D17 mini me????????????

I have a another motor D15b7 i was thinking will a D17 head work on my d15b7 block the reason why i asked is beacuse my next door neigbor wecked his 4 door civc really bad and now wants to part out with it so is it possilbe and if not then why

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,665 Posts
I say no with 98% confidence.

I just parted out a D17A1 and a couple of D16Y8s. If anything the A1 (1.7l 7th gen) might have worked with a Y8 (1.6l 6th gen) and you're asking about a 1.5l 5th gen civic. The A1 head does not mate up with the Y8 bottom end - period. Oil and coolant passages don't line up, etc. I've placed the head gaskets side-by-side and they are different. Therefore I'd bet big money there's no chance swapping a D17A1 or A2 on a D15.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts