Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a little searching and I didn't find much on the subject. Maybe because its late, I don't know.

Pros and Cons of boosting a D17A2 (2002 Civic EX Motor). I've thought about it and I'm not sure if its worth it. I don't know anyone in my area right now with a boosted D17 and I haven't heard of many people doing it. Maybe its not a good motor to start with. I'd just like to hear some opinions from some people who know what their doing. Worse comes to worst I'll just swap a K20A2 in it and be happy with that. Altho, I like boost...

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Not good motor for boost.. Returnless fuel system would make me not want to do it for sure!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, and the rods are pencil thin. wrong choice for budget boost, thats for sure.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
do thw swap to the k20, you'll be MUCH happier...trust me, i have a d17a2, shit motor for build up...

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
D16A6T said:
^^^They use the new obd2a3 system or something like that.
yup hes right, swap it to a k20 and trust me youll be soo happy you did that, even tho it will cost a lot, itll be worth it in the end....

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Joe said:
i've seen a guy make 260 whp on a turbo d17 at sohchonda.com
Link??? I would like to see that.. I have tore these motor's down and theyare weak.. They overheat once and there toast :(

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
^^believe me i know...mine overheated once and ever since it has been doing all kinds of goofy shit, but the most recent is the power steering pump is bad...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
what makes d17's weaker than a6's, z6's, and y8's? Im not disagreeing...Im just interested in knowing.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
i love honda said:
what makes d17's weaker than a6's, z6's, and y8's? Im not disagreeing...Im just interested in knowing.
the rods are longer, and honda didn't make them any beefier than the d16 rods, so they are in escence weaker than all the other rode because of the length...also the motor in general was a poor design, hell the intake manifold is plastic for shit sakes...not to mention the lack of the return fuel system, also the obdIIb ecu comepletly rules out the idea of using a chipped ecu, or converting to obdI...no you have to buy a comeplete stad alone such as an AEM EMS system + everything needed to use it...this car sucks the more i talk about it...GOD CAN'T WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW!!!

·
Banned
181 Posts
Joe said:
also they have even a longer stroke than the very strokey d16. 94.x mm
slebidia said:
The D17 rods aren't any weaker. The longer stroke does cause more extreme rod angles which end up putting more stress on the rods and cylinder walls.

long stroke = torque.

with custom rods..... this could be a powerful build up.

i'm using a D17 crank in my supercharged a6 build. :TU:

we'll see how it holds up.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The returnless fuel system and stock fuel pump will hold up to boost if you only want to go for a small gain. say 6 - 8 psi, but you also need to upgrade the injectors to rsx type s injectors.

Once you exceed that, converting to a return style system isn't that bad, just time consuming. New fuel pump to remove the in tank fuel pressure regulator. Install a new fuel pressure regulator before the fuel rail, use modified fuel rail with return line welded on, and run a returnline to the top of the fuel tank to discharge the excess fuel.

The D17 has a future, just needs some more aftermarket support. Dezod Motorsports, though pricey, has customer pistons and rods being fab'd up as well as an intake manifold. Other manufacturers sell the return fuel line kit. So they're getting attention. It could be worst, it could be the new r-series.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
So pretty much their IM's suck, the rods are the same exact size as d16's meaning they won't hold up as well due to the longer stroke of the motor, and the fuel system sucks....mmk just wondering. I didn't know much about these motors other than the fact that I knew I wouldn't have one as soon as I saw them lol. There's not much room in the bay either...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts