Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Chicago firefighter (Rich) is doing a little build on his D17 and wanted me to make him an AC/PS compatible downpipe. I do this occasionally for folks and figured I would share my work with ya'll.

Easiest way for me to do this is to use a mock-up station. Here's a trashed D17 block and head mated to a D16 oil pan - which is just about the same dimensions a D17.

Still need to mount PS pump, alt and AC compy.

Both the mani and T25 flange on the turbo had studs in them so I removed the turbo side studs, drilled the threads out and mounted it to the lump.

Even for such a small snail, there is not a lot of room if you want to keep the creature comforts.

Still figuring things out here. I spent some time with the acetylene torch and this low pressure AC line.

Got it so there is enough clearance to fit the DP right in between. Heat wrap will also be a necessity here especially in those balmy Chicago summers. But the point is it will fit.

Got the compressor housing oriented correctly, but I had to modify the wastegate actuator mounting bracket to fit in its new location. In otherwords I drilled a new hole in the bracket.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Coated the manifold and cured it in 2000° black silicone.

First real cut on the tubing and mounted to the flange.

Gettin there........

Some more tacks and a couple 1/4 beads now that I've got the curves moving.

Dooo deeee doooooo.....

I think I got it done figured out.

Just a shot of how things sit. He'll put a flex pipe somewhere after the oil pan.

And 7th gen pans have a touch deeper sump than this 6th gen pan so if he bottoms out, it won't be because of the exhaust.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'X' Marks the spot of where for the oil return fitting.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Up the pooper shot.

And finish welds done and mostly ground down.

The only thing I have left to do is place and weld in the O2 sensor bungs and then I'm going to coat the DP and possibly wrap it. He will want as much heat insulation as possible since its close to AC lines and the alternator. I had to modify an AC bracket to clear the bends on the DP.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okee doke. All done except for a little time in the oven tomorrow to cure the coating on the pipes.

Had to fabricate a small extension for the wastegate actuator bracket. One bolt lined up but I'd rather not risk having it rotate:

A little more paint and its ready. All the fittings and washers are cleaned up and ready to go. Bracket repainted and cleared, PCV valve ready to go, 12mm head nuts on the mani, 13mm head nuts and lock washers for the downpipe.

I cleaned up and semi-polished the compressor housing and then cleared it so it won't corrode and get all dusky as easily. Brass fitting on the housing is cleaned, cleared, thread sealant applied so it ready to go as well.

Downpipe is done. O2 sensor bungs welded in. One closest to the turbo for a wideband and the second for the stock primary.

Done and done.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
nice write up man

one thing I found helpful in my cramming of a 3" DP with ac was to "oval" out the pipe in a vice to gain just a bit more clearance

also if the line gets to hot could get the line cut and rewelded to lower the AC system pressure

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Dunno. I won't be shipping it to him until Monday and he still needs to find and purchase kpro and a few other things. I would imagine it will be installed in a couple months.
fuuuuuuuu my cousin just bought kpro for his '10 Si coupe. What a set back :pinch:

fab looks clean foos :TU:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have Kpro, and i'm unsure since noone will tune me due to constant bad engines i get from the junkyard.

awesome downpipe i wish u could make me one, i have a little tiny one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks for the idea i just got from one of your first pic's with all the a/c lines attached I was wondering how i was going to make the Integra condenser work with my setup because I have an Integra radiator. The one line that goes down instead of up should help me get the lines going in the right direction to get to the condenser

P.S. That is some dame good Fab work you have going on there.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i miss foosfab
It still goes on but most folks on a Honda forum don't really care about the things I fab so I don't post here much any more. Miss your e-cuddles too Dan.

Looks great! Some good fab work forsure keep it up and thanks for sharing man!
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts