Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got the d17 out of an 04 civic for free and the d16 in the hatch now is about to die on me so i figure why not try and put this motor in it since it was free... just wondering what kind of work/wiring would go into this swap?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havent started yet... just seeing if its possible and what kind of a headache i could possibly be in for

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
misfiring on cylinder 1,3,4 when im on the interstate pretty sure either the head gasket is blown or the head is cracked cause it is starting to use water and now its starting to cut out on me when im driving on the interstate and the motor also has 280,xxx on it

·
Registered
2001 TL1000R
509 Posts
id say headaches are probably not worth it as much as just selling the d17 you got and getting a y8 head and rebuild your y7 bottom end or just do a y8 swap and rebuild the y8
OR just rebuild your y7 with the money you get from the d17

·
Registered
72 Posts
i agree. the obd2b system that d17 uses is just too annoying to deal with. not to mention converting to cable shift linkage and making custom brackets etc.

·
Registered
1993 ej1 P.O.S
321 Posts
id say headaches are probably not worth it as much as just selling the d17 you got and getting a y8 head and rebuild your y7 bottom end or just do a y8 swap and rebuild the y8
OR just rebuild your y7 with the money you get from the d17
THIS ^^

The money you could get for the D17 would offset the headache you would run across

·
Registered
72 Posts
BUT to be fair the d17 has some good advantages too. For example the d17 is able to use hondata kpro which some would argue makes it more easily tunable tha anything else. Trust me i have first hand experience and kpro on d17 is deffinitely worth it

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
BUT to be fair the d17 has some good advantages too. For example the d17 is able to use hondata kpro which some would argue makes it more easily tunable tha anything else. Trust me i have first hand experience and kpro on d17 is deffinitely worth it
Depends what you want and how much you wan't to spend. Sounds like you've already made your decision

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i also have a DOHC ZC motor that was my first swap and i wrecked the car 1 month after the swap so i kept the motor... would it be easier to go this route? i really want to specifics of what would have to be done for the d17 to work?

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
dohc zc swap will bolt RIGHT IN but you have to convert to obd1 because dohc zc swap doesnt use the crank sensor..

doing the d17 swap will take some time, just for the fact that the wiring is different, there is no distributor you have to use coil pacs its not worth it man just sell the d17 ...

its going to cost you A LOT of money to get the d17 to fit and run in anything other then what the come in ... just sell it trust me i dont really care how good hondata is and how easy it is to tune, thats not the problem, all the wiring your going to have to do to even get the car to turn over is the problem

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
thank you siregcivic... anyone wanna buy a d17:)
since you have a low post count your best bet is craigslist that way you dont get a red dot :)

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
techniquely couldnt you snatch up a wire harness and ecu from a 7th gen and use that to run the motor and keep the stock ecu from the 97 for all other operations? i have seen some bastard set-up running different motors from different make and models and i have seen a few that runn 2 ecus om for the car and one for the motor.....

that being said mounts would have to be fabbed up and i didnt know they had cable trans if so that would have to be delt with as well......i think its doable, i think its a bit different, but really your gonna end up with the same power as a d16........but i have a better idea for you....

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/91317-d18y8-engine-build.html

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/124284-boosting-d18.html

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Paul, don't hate, you know you love your D17.

That said, to the OP, its not worth it. Much more cost effective to use a D16 of any other flavor than a D17. Kpro is cool but so is S300, Neptune and Crome - and all of those are way cheaper than kpro.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts