Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some information on the DX/LX D17 pistons.

zeal lists dish/height information for the EX/Si piston (PLR-A00) but nothing for the PLM-A00

and speaking of the PLR-A00, it looks like it has been superceded by 13010-PSA-G00. Anyone got info on the PSA-G00??

Dome/Dish, comp height, maybe even pictures?

:bigok:

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
Looking for some information on the DX/LX D17 pistons.

zeal lists dish/height information for the EX/Si piston (PLR-A00) but nothing for the PLM-A00

and speaking of the PLR-A00, it looks like it has been superceded by 13010-PSA-G00. Anyone got info on the PSA-G00??

Dome/Dish, comp height, maybe even pictures?

:bigok:
I have torn both apart and they did not look to be different i have a dx bottom in chillin right here though if that helps i can send you a piston.

it is a dish the ex and dx were identical to the eye except for the valve reliefs. the GX is the only one that is way different because it has a small dome!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im trying to get my hands on a set of the GX pistons. they are perfect. perhaps shave a little off the deck.. :)

i just dont want to get a dx/lx block and have too low of CR. trying to avoid machine work here.

if i can just take any ol D17 that comes around id be set.

right now i got one of our honda buyers to see if he can get me a sample set of GX pistons :)

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Pretty sure I've got a used set. Not up to date on my D17 trim stuff, but its a non-VTEC so I assume its a DX/LX. I'll have to look around in my boxes of pistons/rods.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
From Heeltoe...

Factory compression numbers are given as, 9.5:1 for the D17A1, 9.9:1 for the D17A2.

The PLR clearly has a bit less dish due to the raised quench pad on the exhaust side.

My build is currently sitting on the bench with PLM 75mm pistons. I'll see if I can cc them for you if you are interested. Based on playing around with Zeal, I assume they will end up in the -7cc range.

The factory pieces are probably superior to aftermarket ones if you can use them. I'll try to find my source, but I remember hearing they have a special low-friction coating on the skirts that other D pistons don't have. They also have the narrowest ring package at 1.0mm, 1.2mm, 2.0mm.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
GX pistons have a 21mm pin so there's that.
The 98-00 GX pistons are 21mm... the 01-05 PDN pistons are the standard 19mm. 21mm pin on a 27mm compression height piston doesn't leave a lot of room for rings.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I ran 260whp on stock D17 rods for almost a year with no problems.
I remember you rebuilding it - what failed? Or did you just put in forged stuff when you got the new head?

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Long drawn out sob story. Cooked a bearing first, then put in the forged stuff. Broke a timing tensioner bolt, new stock head, moved back to the US, new PnP head, bunch of new stuff, JB Weld kicked my ass, re-ringed, re-did head, wouldn't start, gave up and parted out. Turns out it was a corrupted tune.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Ah, but no actual rod / piston failure at that power level.

Looks like I may get to run my 15g at full blast without fear. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts