Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Civic Si
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use one of the newer D17 aluminum oil pans on my mini-me build?? what would be need for the swap? are the bolt holes and studs all in the same place? do I have to use a D17 oil pick-up tube, and will that mount to a D15 oil pump? :thinking:

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
I'm 95% positive the bolt holes line up, but it's a matter of the baffle and the dipstick hole being tin the right place. Our dipsticks are about a 1/2" to the left of the filler cap. You should be able to use the D15 sump tube as long is it lines up with the baffle plate.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
You can't use the D16 sump tube with the steel D17 pan. If the D15 tube is the same as the D16 tube and the D17 steel pan is designed to use the same pickup as the aluminum pan then my guess is that you need to use the D17 tube. I have a D17 tube if you need one and a D15 that I haven't dissaembled it yet otherwise I'd check it out for you.

·
Registered
2005 Civic Si
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can't use the D16 sump tube with the steel D17 pan. If the D15 tube is the same as the D16 tube and the D17 steel pan is designed to use the same pickup as the aluminum pan then my guess is that you need to use the D17 tube. I have a D17 tube if you need one and a D15 that I haven't dissaembled it yet otherwise I'd check it out for you.
cool, id like to know because I can get a great deal on a new honda aluminum oil pan

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
wont work. the d17 oil pump is different.

if you use a d17 oil pump. plug the hole in the front of the block, and used a d17 pickup, then maybe (does a d17 oil pump fit a d15 crank? im not sure)

there was a thread about oil pan interchangeability recently...

·
Registered
ex-g (canadian)
624 Posts
need to use a y7/y8 oilpump and take the oil pickup that come with the pan
you also need to plug the oil dipstick hole on the pump

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
need to use a y7/y8 oilpump and take the oil pickup that come with the pan
you also need to plug the oil dipstick hole on the pump
my bad, yes a y7/y7 oil pump would be what you want. that would work a lot better with the d15 crank which according to the honda catalogue uses the same oil pump as a d16z6.

so that should work.

to use the cheap pan you just need a y7/y8 oil pump, and to plug your blocks current dip stick (maybe just cut down the stock dip stick, pretty cheap)

:clap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts