Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what benefits i would recieve by using a street use cam from crower...such as a stage 1...pretty much stock motor...goin to be doin a mini-me swap here soon hopefully....got cai and exhaust...is it worth it...? if it is what all would i have to do with the motor if anything at all to put a aftermarket cam in...would i have to go in and change any of the internals...?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you want to just put a Stage 1 in then there is no need to upgrade anything. If you have a decent 2 1/4 exhaust and upgraded cat i would THINK you would see about a 10hp - MAX - gain. If your car has a standard trans, i would recommend getting the stage 2 (same price) and get the valves and retainers, then tune it with Kpro. After the parts (Kpro, cam gear, valves, retainers, cam) and a tune, it will cost you around 2grand, but that is the best money to power-gain ratio right there for the D17. The only thing i don't know, that hopefully someone else could answer, is that i am not sure the affect of just throwing a stage 1 cam in there really is. Will that actually help at all? I would think you would need some kind of tune and play with fuel and ect. to take advantage of the cam.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man...thats about what i was lookin for...i just wasnt sure...with a stage 2 cam...with valves, springs and retainers, cam gear...with the k-pro...and a good tune...would should i be able to expect on the hp and tq gains..?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is a thread regarding a close to identical set up to one i am talking about. Of course it will vary between the motors and what type of exhaust set up you have/tune. But the majority (just about all) of the gains will be from K Pro and the tune you recieve. It would be safe to say you could pull about 25-30 extra hp and 15-20ft/lbs of TQ. I would say that is to be safe. I wouldn't be surprised if you have could get 40 hp out of the thing if everything is in tip-top shape. And yea, its not much, but for this engine it would be around a 35% hp gain or so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man...thats exactly what i was looking for 147 hp aint bad....no its got me thinking..lol..only problem is i dont really know of any place around here that does tuning besides one place...but ive heard mixed opinions...more so negative than positive...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well i don't know if you would want to drive very far. But usually there is a respectable tuner within a 1000 mile radius. Remember the tune is the most beneficial thing in this combo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts