Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
new idea can any one help me out i want a cheap but reliable turbo so i thought about even peicing my own so here are my questions

what turbo would be nice to run on a stock lx motor with ex vtec head?
do they make intercooler and pipes for the d17?
can sumone please help me peice a kit together becuase i am new to this and would really like the learn about the d17 motor?
what exactly do i need?

Thanks so much this forum has been such great help im glad i found it and happy to be a new memeber
Chris.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
you could go turbo kit here, look into the greedy, or do search for one. i know that greddy has a decent one for the d17. i know that someone on here has or use to have a turbo d17.

·
Registered
137 Posts
read the sticky posts in the forced induction sections of here, homemadeturbo.com and 7thgencivic.com and that will give you a good idea on what parts you need for turbo. a good site for inexpensive turbos is atpturbo.com.. check out the garret gt28r for 775 bucks... good luck on your quest!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
the only part you need for your d17 specifically is the turbo manifold. Everything else can be whatever you want (as long as the turbo has the right flange for your manifold). You don't need to buy charge pipes "for a d17". Just take a look at your engine bay and mentally map it out, buy a bunch of different length pipes with different bends and puzzle it together.

Above all, read the turbo noob sticky in the FI forum! It's super useful! I'm using it, too.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Yes turbo stickys are good..

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
1991 Honda Civic STD
810 Posts
The best 7th gen D17 turbo kit for your money-->http://www.dezodmotorsports.com/pd_dezod_motorsports.cfm
You can choose between a Garrett VB35 Hi-Fi Turbo w/ .48 A/R (T3/T04E turbo) or a T3 Super 60. It is praised more highly than the SF kit and is more complete. You can choose your fuel management or go w/Greddy e-manage. All this for $3,299 :TU:

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
^^
thats a hell of a good deal for you 17 type guys..
Rep for you..!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
dezod turbo will probably be the best kit out for the d17 but if you want everything with there kit it will run you about 5 grand, that includes boost controller, return fuel line conversion, emanage, and other stuff.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm running a max-rev kit. www.maxrev.com all polished and stuff. not too good for fuel management though. I need to get an emanage so I can retard the timing. I'm also going to do a y8 IM conversion and convert to a return fuel system. I'm happy with it though, T3-T04E and it spools at about 2700 rpms, and its pretty to look at cause of the polishing....all nice and shinny.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Im going to go ahead and assume that the injectors for the d17 are the same as the rest of hondas injectors. Which is 240cc.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you do not need to go for a big turbo. Our cars are small and light, and I would assume that you are looking for power right off the bat. I would look into T25, or T25BB turbo they spool very quickly, and so you do not have to wait until you are well on the highway to get some good spools out of it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there is no such thing as a cheap good/reliable turbo system for hondas or any other car for that matter you ebay shoppers.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jdmrevv said:
there is no such thing as a cheap good/reliable turbo system for hondas or any other car for that matter you ebay shoppers.
The main flaw with the D17 motor is the returnless fuel system, I agree that these engines are not the strongest in the world, but you can give them a little push with the right now. I say again, with the right knowledge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
so i dont know much about engines yet, i got a '92 civic sedan and i plan to do an engine swap after i bought some little things here and there like type r shifter and skunk2 coilovers and Apexi N1 exhaust and i was thinkin about swappin a D17 into it. ive heard good and bad news about that engine since its a Vtec-E. what kind of tranny would be best for that and what if i changed the head to like a Z6? I plan to turbo it too if i get it and just wonderin if i got a turbo would i have to construct my own piping and shit like that to make everything fit? my buddy said a possibility might be just usin like a D16 turbo but he said not to hold it to him. can anyone fill me in?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts