1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Del sol
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Donor car: Ek coupe d17

My car: 93 Honda del sol

I've almost got the d17 out of the ek, And im just wondering what all im going to need to put it in my del sol. Am i going to be able to use the motor/tranny mounts, Shift linkage, Wiring harness, radiator, Cv axles?

Thanks a lot, Before you flagg. I did make a attempt to search. And im new to Dseries.org, So i hope i posted in the right spot.

Thanks s/c owners. =]

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
its possible but honestly not worth the hassle. its not a big power potential motor, its not an easy swap. theres no merit to it

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Chris, thanks for making an attempt to search. But you may wanna double check what motor you have. If it's out of an EK (96-00 Civic) you have a D16 either Y7 or Y8. If it truly is a D17, I have a feeling your swap is going to be a good bit harder than what you anticipate. And it's not going to deliver much in return...

Pics would help.

·
Registered
91 HB
218 Posts
You shouldnt need new engine mounts. But i would check them anyways because they might need to be replaced/filled. Im 95% sure youll need a new ECU and harness. You can use the same radiator.

Are you going to use the EK tranny? I would use your del sol tranny unless it has issues (popouts, grinds, etc). If you dont then you MIGHT need different axles and MIGHT need shift linkage. But a D17 will go on your del sol tranny. So id just save the trouble and do that.

·
Registered
Green 93 Civic Ex
61 Posts
The D17 is out of the 7th gens. EK came with 1.6 vtec and non vtec. When i tried to swap a 1.6 out of 96-00 I couldnt get tranny to line up for shit. It isnt worth the trouble.

Which engine do you have now?

·
Registered
93 Del sol
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies guys, I have a y7 engine and tranny bone stock and it is def. from the ek body but my guess is its a 01 o2 ek because it is a d16y7 engine/tranny. If more people could verify what parts would work that i already have that would help a lot nothing like saving money. Would post pics but no camera.

And I understand the y7 makes no power but the guy informed me as long as i pull it i could have. Plus i have a Y8 built head and im going to turn it into a mini me swap down the road.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
The D17 is out of the 7th gens. EK came with 1.6 vtec and non vtec. When i tried to swap a 1.6 out of 96-00 I couldnt get tranny to line up for shit. It isnt worth the trouble.

Which engine do you have now?
Guess you refer to the trans mount? At most you have to swap your old bracket off the driver's side of the motor as they do differ.

y7s are fine motors. They suffer from the y series oiling issues and kinda prone to spinning bearings due to that fact.

y8 head will work fine, plenty of mini-me info on here. I'd suggest the y8 intake manifold as an upgrade

as stated above. You might have to swap the l-bracket thing off your old motor to make everything line up.

·
Registered
93 Del sol
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, I think i got a better idea now, I got the cv axles pulled tonight (what a bi#%$!!) and if anyone could lemme know weather or not the wiring harness will work or not id really appreciate it.

Oh and originally I said D17, Im not completely uneducated haha, I mean d16y7**

Thanks for the help guys. =]

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys, I have a y7 engine and tranny bone stock and it is def. from the ek body but my guess is its a 01 o2 ek because it is a d16y7 engine/tranny. If more people could verify what parts would work that i already have that would help a lot nothing like saving money. Would post pics but no camera.

And I understand the y7 makes no power but the guy informed me as long as i pull it i could have. Plus i have a Y8 built head and im going to turn it into a mini me swap down the road.

Thanks for the help guys
Sounds like you have alot more learning to do. Y7's came in the 96-00 Civics (EK's in Japan, EJ's here in the US). Anything 2001-2005 had the D17's. :TU:

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
D16Y7
Found in:
1996-2000 Honda Civic DX/VP/LX/CX
1999-2000 Honda Civic Special Edition - SE(Canada)
1996-97 Honda del Sol S
1997 Honda Civic Coupe LSI
Displacement : 1,593 cc (97.2 cu in)
Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 90 mm (3.0 in × 3.5 in)
Compression : 9.4:1
Power : 106 hp (79.0 kW, 107 ps) @ 6400 rpm
Torque : 103 ft·lbf (140 N.m) @ 4,600 rpm
Redline : 6800 rpm
Rev-limiter: 7200 rpm
Valvetrain : SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Fuel Control : OBD2 MPFI
Head Code : P2A-2
Piston Code : P2E
ECU Code : P2E

IF YOUR DEL SOL HAS BASE ENGINE

D15B7
Found in:
1992-1995 Honda Civic CX (Canadian model)
1992-1995 Honda Civic DX/LX
1993-1995 Honda Civic del Sol S
1992-1995 Honda Civic LSi Coupe (European Market)
Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 84.5 mm (3.0 in × 3.33 in)
Compression : 9.2:1
Power : 102 hp (76.1 kW, 109 ps) @ 5900 rpm (102 hp @ 5900 rpm in U.S.)
Torque : 98 ft·lbf (13.5 kg/m, 133 Nm) @ 5000 rpm
Valvetrain : SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Cam Gear: 38 Tooth
Piston Code : PM3
Fuel Control : OBD-1 MPFI
ECU Code: P06

i dont see the reason for wanting this motor. its .1 liter bigger and gives you 4 more hp and 5 more torques. The gearing in your trans is going to be better than the y7 will be. Im not trying to rain on your parade but i just dont get it :s

EDIT: i didnt think of this before but you have to do a obd2 swap also to make this work, this will all add weight to the car and take away that 4 hp you gained.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
D16Y7

i dont see the reason for wanting this motor. its .1 liter bigger and gives you 4 more hp and 5 more torques. The gearing in your trans is going to be better than the y7 will be. Im not trying to rain on your parade but i just dont get it :s

EDIT: i didnt think of this before but you have to do a obd2 swap also to make this work, this will all add weight to the car and take away that 4 hp you gained.
Uhh no. He'll pick up a few HP/TQ by getting rid of the garbage y7 intake manifold by installing a z6 or y8 intake manifold. Hell, prob even a D15 intake manifold lol

It will run like a champ on OBD-1. I too had a y7 in a 93 Sol at one point. Just take the harness off the old motor and put it on the one going in the car. Some stuff won't be used like the crank sensor since OBD-1 all that mess is ran by the distributor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts