Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering if i can get some resource on d17 heads interchangeability? What heads can i use to upgrade to drive more power? Can it be done? Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
search search search... short answer you can swap on a y8
What? No you can't. That was a D17 block in an car that had a D16Y8. If you were to put a D16Y8 head on a 7thgen, you'd have to rewire the entire car. Coilpacks != dizzy. Besides, you'd be going backwards in technology. Even if the head does flow marginally better, the gains wouldn't be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Search the engine building forum... "D17 block with d16 head CAN BE DONE"

This will point you why and why not. Definitely why yes, it can be done...

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
I believe there is a guy somewhere in the 7th gen section that successfully put a z6 head on his d17. He had to do some "ghetto" fabbin' to get it to work. But, it does work and he's got pics and vids and whole walk through of the process.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Let me reiterate the extent of what would need to be exchanged. Putting a D17 block in an older civic under a D16 head isn't that hard, no. But putting a Y8 or z6 head on a D17 is going to take a major electronics overhaul, as you're changing the entire ignition system style.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Let me reiterate the extent of what would need to be exchanged. Putting a D17 block in an older civic under a D16 head isn't that hard, no. But putting a Y8 or z6 head on a D17 is going to take a major electronics overhaul, as you're changing the entire ignition system style.
You can put a distributor on a d17. You just have to remove the cam seal (plug)...

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can put a distributor on a d17. You just have to remove the cam seal (plug)...
Well yeah. But how are you going to get the ECU to run a dizzy? You'd have to run a standalone, at which points any gains would be null and void.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Even the "port and polish" part is debatable. Andy was putting out 489 at the wheels on a stock casting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well yeah. But how are you going to get the ECU to run a dizzy? You'd have to run a standalone, at which points any gains would be null and void.
Why a standalone? If you have distributor run with distributor, if have coil-on-plug use them. No matter if d16 or d17, both can run with both types of ignition.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Somehow the electrical engineering side of my brain wants to call complete bs on that one. With the precision you need for engine timing to work out right, the resistances in a distributor vs. a coil pack would be too different. It might drive the engine in theory, but I'm thinking the timing would be so far off it wouldn't run.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why a standalone? If you have distributor run with distributor, if have coil-on-plug use them. No matter if d16 or d17, both can run with both types of ignition.
go ahead and just say the d17 ecu will run a dizzy.
first off the car wont even start w/o the coil packs.
and how are you going to wire up the dizzy to the ecu when the ecu is wired to run coil packs?

its possible if you swap to the d16 ecu.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Prove it. Don't just talk out your ass.
go ahead and just say the d17 ecu will run a dizzy.
first off the car wont even start w/o the coil packs.
and how are you going to wire up the dizzy to the ecu when the ecu is wired to run coil packs?

its possible if you swap to the d16 ecu.
back in it 'cause you are saying :bsflag:.

one thing is change the cylinder head and other thing is change the ignition system.

I am not saying to run a "DIZZY" with the d17 ecu, obviously it wont run. what i am saying is you can use the coil packs on a d16 head, and can use a "dizzy" with a d17 head. the d17 camshaft can run a "dizzy"...

if you can put the d16 head, deal with the oil drain and the water, then put the cam trigger (TDC) on the head, remove the distributor, place a cam seal, and plug the cooil packs...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts