Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.I'm an owner of an ep2 civic,equipped with the d16v1 engine.It's 1,6lt
sohc-vtec II(OBD2).As Ifound out it shares many parts with the D17 series engine.Same bolt pattern on intake and exhaust manifolds,can use the same aftermarket rods,cam and exhaust header.As I read on other topics the d17 has the VTEC-E system on,so I suppose that mine's also the same(btw the vtec point is at about 4300rpm,but it can also engage lower.It has to do with the throttle position).So,my questions are:
1.Are there any ECU management systems available on the market?Not talking about piggyback.
2.I think it has the d17 head.Is this head worthy on working on it(port&polish valve job)or should I swap heads with an older d?

·
Registered
291 Posts
xrem said:
Hi all.I'm an owner of an ep2 civic,equipped with the d16v1 engine.It's 1,6lt
sohc-vtec II(OBD2).As Ifound out it shares many parts with the D17 series engine.Same bolt pattern on intake and exhaust manifolds,can use the same aftermarket rods,cam and exhaust header.As I read on other topics the d17 has the VTEC-E system on,so I suppose that mine's also the same(btw the vtec point is at about 4300rpm,but it can also engage lower.It has to do with the throttle position).So,my questions are:
1.Are there any ECU management systems available on the market?Not talking about piggyback.
2.I think it has the d17 head.Is this head worthy on working on it(port&polish valve job)or should I swap heads with an older d?
Not sure if you have seen this yet but some info about it.
http://www.civic-ep2.co.uk/d16v1.htm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already seen it.Site and forum have little info,most of what they find in d-series and other honda related sites:wtf:

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
engine management...go with the AEM EMS, if you can afford it...damn good system and a complete ECU replacement, with laptop interface...

the d17 head is not all that bad really...the big problem is going to come in with the intake manifold...the mani is a big plastic piece of crap...but as for the head, i've takin one apart before, in fact i have one in pieces setting on my sound board case in my living room...kinda comical actually, considereing it has been sitting there for 3-4 months now...i have to put it all together and sell the damn thing...

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
also you will not be able to swap heads if you do indeed use the d17a2 head...the bolt patterns and head gaskets are too different...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah,I know the EMS system.When using it,the stock ECU only works for the A/C.Everything else is done by the EMS.I'd hit it,but it's damn expensive.Does anybody know if the D17 and the D16v1 use the same ECU?
I wanna install a supercharger but I cannot find any kits available.:cussing:

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
super chargers are not made for the d17...now if you would like to put in the work for it, you can use the jrsc for the d16y8 after you do the intake manifold swap...the a2 head has the ability to use the y8 intake mani, but it cost a bit of money and takes alot of work, but the gains are minimal...however if you do the swap the engine will get the return fuel system and have the ability to attach the y8 intake mani (and the jrsc should fit, but it a theory)...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so the only restriction is the intake mani?Suppose that a custom one works then.What about the connection to the crankshaft?The gears are the same?
Will the pulley fit?

·
Registered
397 Posts
The Y8 manifold fit very well. Just enlarge a little two of the bolt wholes and it fit. The EGR passage (in the D17 head) is where the Y8 manifold have a water passage.

I have both in front of me now (D17A2 head and y8 manifold).

I use a dremel to enlarge the wholes. Very easy, a little kid can do it. I try the RSX-S injectors on the y8 manifold and notice that bigger o-rings are needed. You can use your stock fuel system, just chack if the bolts that holds the fuel rail can be used or you need larger or shorter ones.

If you have problems with the supercharger, use the type of supercharger that is like a turbo (I think is a VORTEX). I really think a turbo set-up is a lot better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll go for a custom intake maniI found a shop down here.I'll use rc injectors I think they fit.As for the supercharger,I'll go for the roots type.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts