Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ref: http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/123761-d16-head-d17-block-discussion.html

Just wondering, has anyone here actually tried this or can try to see how the cam gear fits in a 92-00 head? I'm looking to run a separate cam sensor(though just need one tooth); and like the way the D17 is set up since it looks like it can be installed cleanly and securely. If that doesn't work, I'd just have to mount the trigger wheel in front.

·
Registered
'93 Civic D15B7/5spd
120 Posts
D17 cam gear will fit any D series camshaft, IIRC the D17 cam even fits in a similar D16 head (Must match the type of valvetrain, i.e. single stage VTEC camshaft for single stage VTEC head). I remember a build thread a while back where someone had put a D17 cam gear on a D16Z6 head. May not have been here, but I remember it from somewhere.

Edit: Here's the deal:

In the thread you just linked, if you would have read, he said to shave 1/4" off of this. It's for clearance of the magnet I am assuming.

The D17 cam gear fits the D16 with minimal fuss. This is the minimal fuss I'm talking about. I had to take 1/4" off this little tab here.
Next time check your reference completely before starting a thread, this entire thread was answered in what you already posted.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
d17 crank, rods, pistons and oil pump in a y8 block??? that would just be a d17 with different numbers on the block and it would fit any d16 sohc head.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That only answers some of my questions; mainly looking for someone who has it working and everything together(plastics, cover, and sensor placement). Though, I didn't realize the part where he milled the block; I was more concerned with the valve cover.

The D17 cam gears do not readily fit the D16 cam shafts; they're keyed differently(pin vs. woodruff key). If the D17 gear would readily work; the plan was to buy an adjustable D17 cam gear, cut off the unneeded teeth, and get a D16 cam gear of the same make/model and just swap out the center part(or ask the manufacturer if they would be willing to sell it like that).

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
OK, let me put this little baby to bed. They do not interchange unless the cam goes with them and the head is modded a little.

1. Dan hit the nail on the head. Keyways are different types and locations. Observe.

2. Cam gear depth is different due to the cam sensor 'pickup plate'.

3. Even if you fix the keyway issue, the backspacing and throat are different.

But foos! I want to run a D17 cam gear in my D16 head dammit!

Why?

Cuz!

OK. You have to run a D17 cam as well, shave the head to clear the timing plate and cut a dizzy notch in the passenger side of the cam. You can do this if you want as a D17A1 cam has the same profile as a Y7. I suspect the A2 is very close to the Y8 cam for you VTEC nukkas but I've only confirmed the non-VTEC profiles.

That's the only way you'll be able to run a D17 cam in a D16 head.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've already brought up the keyway/hub issue; simply using an aftermarket cam gear available for both models. Of course the timing gear on the crank would need to be shimmed to line up. The ultimate goal was to see if the timing wheel would even fit back there(which would allow the sensor to be used in the "stock" position), never intended for a "stock D17" setup.

I guess it looks like I'll have to mount the timing wheel on the front. Oh well.

FYI: I need to run a separate cam trigger wheel; not just "because". It's not going to be run off a Honda ECU.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
FWIW I reverse engineered the Hondata cam gear for the D17 by simply welding that key into the proper place for kpro and grinding off the stock D17 TDC mark. There are a handful of folks running them successfully now for over a year.

I bring that up because there's no reason you simply couldn't add that timing mark to your D16 gear and be done with it. That miniscule amount of weight won't be enough to throw anything off.

I see you're in Raleigh which is right up the road from me. I'm sure we could figure something out here in my little lab of misfit toys if you wanted to.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What exactly is different on the Hondata D17 cam gear? Initially, I was thinking of just buying two cam gears off of ebay; one for a D16Y and the other for a D17, and just swapping the hubs. That, or emailing AEM to see if they would sell me one already swapped.

I'm trying to set everything up for Megasquirt; and just need a 1-tooth wheel on the cam gear. I wanted to see if the "D17 setup" or timing wheel in the back of the gear would fit without any issues; just an effort to try to keep everything "clean". For the crank, I still haven't decided if I should go with a "stock: 12-teeth wheel or use a 36-1 wheel.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
derail why do you have so many d17 cam gears lol.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Speedfoos have you mounted everything to check fitment(mainly the plastics)? Possibly any running(check if cam trigger syncs correctly)?

I know you compared the D17 cam to the Y7, but are they timed the same?

And just curious, are the D17A1 rockers "P2A", same as Y7?

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
I always remove the back plastic on D17s because it warps and eats into the timing belt. Seen it happen on 6 heads so far.

Cams are identical between the A1 and Y7. Timed the same, rockers are the exact same (P2As, just checked as I have an A1 and Y7 rocker assembly in the garage).

I have not done a running check as I don't have any Hondas in my stable at the moment.

You're welcome to come down and grab what I've got to see if it will work. Its just taking up space in my garage.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The upper, lower, or both plastic warps?

I wish I had time to go down there; I'm getting busier every week. Plus, no AC in my car is kicking my ass. I may just try to get an D17A1 cam to send out for a regrind and use a adjustable D17 cam gear; and just follow the method you described.
On all of the cam gears I've looked at(for a 88-00 D-series) look like they do not have enough room to bolt a timing wheel onto the front.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
The upper backing plastic is the one that warps. The timing covers will be dependent on what block and head you're using.

I've got two A1 cams sitting right here and will be up in Raleigh tomorrow to pick up some brewing supplies. We could meet up and you could grab the cam and whatever else I can fit in a backup since I'm taking the bike up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts