Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference between the two? besides the difference in the valve cover and from what i see they look like the d17 has direct coil packs...need some help here. was wanting to get a d17 head or valve cover a least itll work. thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
The difference is that the oil passageways on the D17 heads are in different locations than their D16 counterparts. In other words a D17 head won't work on a D16 block and vice versa. Unless you want to redo the oil passageways.

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay thanks man and what about the valve covers? did i see it right does the d17 have like direct coil packs? id like to that that if possible

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
D17 has COP(Coil On Plug) so yes the valve cover has a little stud to mount the COP. D17's use OBD2B and have other sensors not on the D16 so it wouldn't be easy/cheap to convert a D16 to use COP from a D17.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Civic Ex
52 Posts
I believe AEM does COP for the D16. Not entirely positive. But you have to program it as the COP are electronically controlled. So, its not a simple setup. And its expensive.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
valvecover and cam fit d16y7

cam gear wont fit correctly without timing cover and cylinder head trimming if I recall correctly

d17 head sucks! oiling and cooling ports/passages dont match up 100%. you wil be pumping oil down teh front of the block hardcore with the drains exposed

·
Formerly 95RedVXCivic
95 VX, 88 S/C MR2
862 Posts
sounds to me like the d17 is a partial bastard d series like the b20a5 is the bastard b series!

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as saying the head sucks - its just not interchangeable with anything else very easily. Its by far the cleanest factory casting I've seen so far on a SOHC Honda head. Compared to the A6, Y7, B2 and Y8 heads I've had my hands on they put a lot more quality control into the casting process of the D17 head. Everything else is true though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey. I'm not sure if this is relevant to anyone, but I took a d16z6 and had the block cut out to accept a d17 crankshaft. I also used aftermarket d16 rods and custom pistons because it was going to be a turbo application. The rod thickness is actually less on the d17, so the I had the rods shaved by .030 in., I think. It was kind of a pain in the ass, but if you buy a d17 engine, you can make everything work so that you get a 1.7L sohc engine that looks like a 1.6 and fits into the older cars very easily. If I remember correctly, I wanted to try to use the d17 head and the head bolts didn't even line up though. I could be wrong though, as this was about 2 years ago and I was being paid to build the car for someone else.

·
Formerly 95RedVXCivic
95 VX, 88 S/C MR2
862 Posts

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I like how he says it needed the block to be worked on to accept the d17 crank

it fits right in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts