Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brothers 02 civic left him on side of road,
Symptoms: clutch does not grab gears, no clunk or noise change at all, need to press clutch to put into any gear, release clutch while in gear and it will not move. Fluid is full, the slave moves the arm in trans fine. It did move a little when he revved the car high and let clutch out but barely. I'm thinking/hoping it's just clutch but could it be trans? I'm removing trans this weekend to replace clurch.

TL/DR:
Car doesnt move while in gear
Fluid fine
No obvious changes
Moves barely if revved high
Clutch? Trans?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
you said it barely moves with rpms and clutch out.

Simply the clutch disc being burnt to shit.

If you want to verify, jack teh car up, remove the flywheel inspection plate, make sure the car is SECURE on jackstands, and have the front wheels off the ground.

Try to "drive" it very gently, then clutch in, rev, and let clutch out.

Without the weight of the car to move, it should go into gear and spin the tires just fine.

Could try spraying a bit of brake cleaner inside the inspection hole (wear safety glasses or goggles!!!) and seeing if a shit ton of clutch dust comes out.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,398 Posts
cv shafts in place? does the speedo move with the tach?

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes CV shafts are good and rpm correspond with mph as they should when the car moves the little it can. The tricky part that got me was that it was driving and grip from clutch was good, clutch in real fast to coast a little before taking exit, once back in gear to get going again and nothing. Typically clutch being burnt theres slippage and signs before it just going out

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could have a broken disc or spring that sprung. The D17 trans seems pretty well built, no problems with the 220k+ unit in the 05 I sold, still see it going every day.
This seems to be exactly what happened. Started to removed things to pull trans. Removed starter and theres a handful of clutch disc material sitting within reach. Gonna pull and replace tomorrow.

Side note what's the easiest way to removed trans on the 02 body, I'm used to dropping on side on my 4th and 5th gen.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
This seems to be exactly what happened. Started to removed things to pull trans. Removed starter and theres a handful of clutch disc material sitting within reach. Gonna pull and replace tomorrow.

Side note what's the easiest way to removed trans on the 02 body, I'm used to dropping on side on my 4th and 5th gen.
Drop the whole cradle with engine and trans....guess why I'll never own one?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Ive done a clutch and flywheel on a 7th gen without dropping the trans out of the car.

Takes a bit of "clearing out" the engine bay above the tranny to do so, but it is possible if your cradle bolts are severely rusted like a friend of mines' were.

Its a pain in the ass, and aligning the new clutch disc REQUIRES a second person to assist from below, but it is possible.

Removing the cradle is FAR easier if the cradle bolts allow and suspension bolts are compliant

Id advise simply cutting swaybar linkages and replacing them if the cradle gets dropped. While doing an RSX up north here, the swaybar bracket bolts broke and it was a pain in teh ass to deal with a loose swaybar all day.

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bone I can see why youd never own one. After this I wont either. Ended up just pulling motor out the top and doing some other maintenance to motor while it's out. Update in clutch, one side of the clutch disc is non-existent. I'll stick to my 4th gen civics...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts