Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just recently swapped my 93 civic lx d15 motor and trans for a 97 D16zc with trans with 57k on both from HMO. We did everything right but discovered that 1 of the fuel injectors was bad so it wouldn’t start. A buddy of ours came over with some new injectors and she started right up!! And she sounds good!! Now I want to let you know that I have my exhaust custom str8 piped from my headers back and my original O2 sensor was not long enough and wouldn’t reach the spot on my headers So I have never ran o2 even on my old motor. I went and did a couple test pills and she was running good, no hiccups and no burps but then towards the end of the night it would kind of hiccup when you got up to speed and it would kind of sound like something isn’t firing properly. My buddy’s that have been helping me are telling me that my car is running way too lean and running no O2 sensor isn’t helping. My buddy came over the other day with an ECU that would help my car run more rich and an O2 sensor that actually reaches my headers. We got it all hooked up last night and the problem felt like it got worse. My buddy told me then that my car might just really need a time because it was originally out of a RHD from Japan and it’s not programmed right for my car. Now we have another buddy of mine coming to install a Neptune and tuner vision to see if we can solve this problem. Are we on the right track? Is there anywhere else we should be checking? Fluids have been immaculate all week, no leaks and I had to drive the civic to and from work but I was easy on her. Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this!!

My buddy said I needed a Tune not a time**** stupid spell check

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
what ecu are you using? what injectors? did you use the sensors from the d15 on the d16?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Have you inspected mechanical timing? Test compression as well? Check valve lash?

As much as it is tempting to simply throw the engine in the car and drive, if you haven't checked the timing belt condition it is possible it could have jumped and threw out mechanical timing. It is always best practice when getting a swap motor on a pallet/skid to do all maintenance to the engine before putting the engine in the car, like timing belt, water pump, etc.

Adding Neptune will be able to visually display error codes, and change fuel/ignition timing, but you should also get a wideband oxygen sensor setup to actually see if your running rich/lean. Without being able to visually see the fuel changes your making in Neptune, it is almost impossible to try and street tune the car, short of getting a tuner with an external wideband setup to tune the car for you.

Check everything you possibly can, mechanically and electronically, BEFORE messing with the fuel/ignition tables!

You can't tune yourself out of an existing mechanical problem!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so I wanna try and reply to all the responses at once, plugs are brand new and injectors are obd2A because that’s the only one that would fit. I transferred all my wiring, my alternator, my intake manifold because the one that came on the Japan motor didn’t wire in correctly. I’ll have to check on the ECU but I know it’s from a DOHC. And as far as I know timing is on point but I can further inspect. I wanna rephrase my concern with my car my throttle was hesitant when it starts to warm up, when it’s cold it rips and sounds like she was born too, and that is the only thing that is wrong.

Sorry OBD1 injectors that are newer

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
use the proper ecu. p28 assuming its a vtec zc. p06 if its a non vtec.
also, not having vtec wired with throw codes

also, that engine (according to hmo site, is a replacement for y7) y7's use 190cc injectors. if you went and threw some 240ccs in, that might be your problem as well

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,920 Posts
Normaly it will run rich without the o2 hooked up. Chances are it was running rich not lean then your buddy tried to make it more rich with different ecu.

Glad to see the issue sorted out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me and my brother Have been trying to get ahold of our buddy that sold us the ECU what kind it’s from and all we know is it was out of DOHC and it was chipped. He thought it would be a better idea but not now figured out it’s the opposite. Also I have no codes on my dash now, no check engine at all and we haven’t even tuned it all . I’m pretty satisfied and I appreciate anyone that helped in this build. Your cooperation has been needed. ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts