Honda D Series Forum banner

d16z6 worth rebuilding?

6K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  outlawsix 
#1 ·
First post in the forums, take it easy guys.

Decisions...I have a 1995 Honda Civic Ex full stock d16z6 that has 247k on the clock, it has a low engine knock. I am in the market for a new car and test drove a mazda 3, I decided that I cannot let my car go, I think I am attached, and heck, it still drives. My boss suggested rebuilding/swapping in another d16z6.

With that said, would it be better for me to try and rebuild this engine (keep in mind, high miles...could the knock make the engine not worth rebuilding) or should I just buy a rebuilt one and go from there.

Should I try and get a hatch? I really love my non-hatch, would it be worth while putting a supercharged/turbod engine in it?

I want this car to be my DD as well as double as a good time, not worried about track speed. I am not rich either, but I am willing to put a couple G's into this girl.

NOTE: aside from normal vehicle maintenance, this will be my frist real "project".

Thanks for looking, any help/criticism will be appreciated, I won't take it to heart.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have a knock, I would just swap in a low mileage JDM motor. A d16a, d15b, or a vtec ZC would be a direct swap. Normally I would say rebuild, but your motor is knocking, which means you need a new crank and possibly a new rod or line bored mains. In the end it will most likely cost you more rebuilding the motor you have.

JDM engines:
Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com

#3 ·
I appreciate the response, I will definitely look into getting a new engine, I was thinking about it anyways.

To me, it is best to make my car better than to have a car payment. I can also get the satisfaction of learning about engines and all that jazz.

In your opinion, what is the best bang (engine) for the buck regarding DD/toy? I should ask, what is optimal hp when it comes to a street car? I don't want to kill myself but I sure do want to have a ton of fun.

#6 ·
You can get a crank with matching bearings for $215 from autozone with a 3 month warranty.Have a machine shop check the rods to see if they are still ok.Possably hot tank the block or just pressure wash it really good.New oil pump.All new seals and gaskets and that is still cheaper than a jdm motor that you have no clue for sure the amount of miles it has.
Or check craigs list for a swap.
But for 5 g you can build a hell of a car.
Like i always said.You are better of investing 200 a week into something you own then you can build it the way you want and not have to worrie about missing a payment.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info, I think I might be looking around for a d16z6 to rebuild while I still drive my DD around....sucks that I need it to get around. I'd even buy another 1995 Honda civic ex with the same motor, and then make one a project car.

Does anyone know of anywhere to pickup a full d16z6, rebuilt or not? I've looked all over.

I found a ZC d16z6, what does the ZC mean? I found it on got-jdm.com, but that website seems to get bad reviews.

Any help would be nice.

#11 ·
From Precision Engine Rebuilders:
regarding the d16z6

We offer a premium long block (P/N hn1.6lba) for $1495.00 plus Two way freight is $300.00.

This engine features all new internal parts, pistons, piston rings, cam bearings, main and rod bearings, timing set, freeze plugs, rear main seal, oil gallery plugs, lifters, camshaft (in some cases a remanufactured cam is installed) complete gasket set, oil pump and valvetrain installed. The heads are surfaced, new guides and seals installed, and are finished with 3 angle valve seats. Crankshafts are reground and micropolished to factory specs. The motor is pretested for compression, oil pressure and oil flow before leaving the factory.

All Precision extra long blocks include a 12 month/unlimited mileage "Limited Warranty." For details please check our homepage.

Thank you for your interest,

Rick Slataper
Sales & Support
PrecisionEngine.com
800 275 7371

#12 ·
hmotors, low mileage jdm engine, example

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30021

rebuild the z6 for boost or NA or trash it if you are not into all that

can you define normal car maintenance a little more. if it is what i'm thinking you may want to get a service manual and do some reading in there and on the forums, and possible enlist the help of some more car knowledgeable friends.

not trying to insult, we all have to start somewhere ;)

#16 ·
sorry man just was throwing it out there, the d15b just appeals to me for some reason and like i said just using it for a example. no sense in paying 1.5k plus shipping for a rebuilt when you can get a quality low mileage second hand for almost a 1/3 of that.

#18 ·
you should have plenty of importers in flordia, and hmotors comes highly recomended (not just by me), give them a call and see what they have.

#20 ·
just how they are denoted in other countries, still a z6 with some minor improvements (i.e. better cam). nothing to be to worried about

#22 ·
d15b is not really like a z6, the other two are (ZC,D16A). however the d15b is rev happy and if i remember put's out close to the same number of the z6.

#25 ·
Am email from hmotorsonline:

---------------------------------------

The Japan replacement for The D16Z6 would be the 92-95 ZC Vtec Engine. We currenlty Sell the Long Block for $650 + Shipping. Shipping and handling cost would be $195 to a business address or $250 to a residential address.

Motor includes the following
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Injectors
- Fuel Rail
- Throttle body
- Alternator
- Distributor
- 5 Speed Hydro Tranny (Add $250)
- P08 ECU (Add $125)

Long blocks average 35,000 miles and come with a 100% start up warranty.
Shipping takes 7-8 working days. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.
Steve

--
HMO
Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com
(818) 723-2572 or (818) 768-3067

---------------------------------------

So I'm pretty sure that I am going to pull the trigger on this one, any last advise? This is a perfect match for my engine? (Noting that I do have the 1995 Honda Civic Ex, d16z6) All I would have to do is bolt this sucker in with the existing tranny? What else would I need to get my DD back to normal operation? Do long blocks typically come with all of the internals, gah, I hate being a noob.

I appreciate all of the responses!

#26 ·
You will be happy with that choice. Hmotorsonline has great customer service and from what I can tell the best JDM engines. If I need a JDM engine and I lived in the US it would be the only place I would go. The engine is going to drop right in with out any real difficulty's. After you pull the Z6 open it up, start a thread, and take pictures and we can give you an idea of what your getting into.

#27 ·
Thanks, I will be posting some pics today of my busted ride...lol, we all have to start somewhere. Also, I think my engine mounts are tearing or something, ah, I'm going to use the noob card and take pics and have you guys assess the situation. At any rate, thanks for the advise.

#29 ·
I was in ur same boat, have a d16z6 i am pulling out my sol and putting a d15b in its place. I will hold onto the d16z6, the thought of rebuilding it has crossed my mind. Never know. may get bored and just rebuild it for a what if motor.

It is a shame that with as many D15b's that are being imported some company hasn't began offering parts for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.