Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 95 EX civic. The woodruff keyhole is chipped a bit. I can still put in the pulley and the key, but there's a slightly big gap on the right, if the keyhole is facing up. when i put on the crank pulley and move the pulley, i can still move the piston and the key stays intact, kinda strong.
Is this VERY bad?
Do i need a new crank?
is there another alternative way?
or Can i put some of the "cold wield" compound shit in the gap?
The cold wield compound shit says it can hold in "3000psi in 16 hours."
and if i put the "cold wield" how long will it last? 1 hour? 1 month? 1 year?

PLEASE REPLY this is VERY IMPORTANT TO ME

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,579 Posts
even on a perfect snout, the keyway will rock a bit, but still we need pics to further comment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
early Miata's are prone to failure look up miata crank keyway repair online or at miata.net for lots of ideas on how to repair this. Can't see it well enough in the picture to know if it is normal but i've had one slightly damaged right at the edge and simply put a new dampener on the car and it has had an issue yet.(brother still owns the car)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,579 Posts
setting ignition timing will be a PITA due to the extra slop.

ONLY way to ever fix it is to repair or replace the crankshaft.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
setting ignition timing will be a PITA due to the extra slop.

ONLY way to ever fix it is to repair or replace the crankshaft.
machining out the keyways in both the balancer and crankshaft and installing an oversized woodruff key, or getting a new crank.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,579 Posts
pulley looks fine, the crank snout it messed up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
my old motor was like that.. we found out because we had to pull the head off and when we went to put it back on and make sure the timing was right my brother in law noticed it didnt have a key (idk how it was running really) but they got a key for it and it had a decent amount of movement in it but the car still ran.. i was just always worried about it messing up on me one day

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
machining out the keyways in both the balancer and crankshaft and installing an oversized woodruff key, or getting a new crank.
True !!

Die grind a larger slot on the cranck, do the same on the pulley, it won'T align perfectly but you'll be able to use it anyways.

Or last cheap option is to put JB weld on both cranck snout and pulley hole. Once is done, done forever. New engine, change your timing belt before.

Ignition timing with a light would be harder, but you can time it roughly and finish it with trial and errors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how long ago?

my old motor was like that.. we found out because we had to pull the head off and when we went to put it back on and make sure the timing was right my brother in law noticed it didnt have a key (idk how it was running really) but they got a key for it and it had a decent amount of movement in it but the car still ran.. i was just always worried about it messing up on me one day
how long ago this happen? and do you rev it like crazy too?

·
Registered
77 Posts
it was like a month ago or so.. i tried driving it nice but sometimes its too fun not to take it high.. so i did hit 7200 a few times.. i drove the crap outta it when i got my new motor cause i figured if i broke it it wouldnt matter cause i had a new one.. still ran good lol

but i swapped in a new motor cause my rings were not doing too good and i didnt know what else the morons who worked on it before messed up

1 - 20 of 28 Posts