Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
91 Si mini me
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondering if anyone know the specs on a y7 stock cam?? I'm wondering if its possibe to put a y7 cam in z6 head? Thanx

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
You need to do a LOT of research man. Not trying to be a Dick or nothing but you've been here a week and have posted about 6 threads now.

when you do frankenstein work, expect A LOT of problems and a lot of tweeks to make it all work.

·
Registered
91 Si mini me
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to be a dick but I've been working on hondas for a while now but just started doin frankenstein stuff.. if I post something its cause I've looked and can't find shit..I'm asking for info not advice thanx

·
Registered
EK Sedan
347 Posts
NO! The y7 is technically a non vtec head, even though it shares the same casting as the y8 vtec head, this is the only head that shares the vtec head casting but isnt vtec.. its the bastard child head. The z6 is a vtec motor. So putting a non vtec cam into a vtec motor doesn't make a lot of sense now does it?

·
Registered
91 Si mini me
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man u should be 100% positive before u speak..I just tested it...runs fine, vtec blocked off, y7 cam and gear, y7 valvetrain...lol if u havent tried don't speak up

·
Registered
80 Posts
The y8 z6 and y7 are all diff cast. the y8 has a smaller cc. the z6 and y7 have the same size cc. i run a y8 head with y7 rockers and cam as a dd. its been running fine without a hitch for 60k miles. the trq is without a doubt more evident through out the rpm range with power way more noticable from 3500-7000 rpm. From having both a y8 and my current motor i would without a doubt pick the one i have now. And to the person that said its pointless, its not exactly pointless if you crack a head on thursday and have a spare one laying around and need to have your car running by monday. thats if ur car is already non v...

·
Registered
91 Si mini me
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank u bro, finally someone who know something lol, atleast he's helpful...thanx alot i just talked to someone else that did a z6/y7 and liked it a lot..the main reason I asked, is cause I gotta head from someone and it wont line up on the z6 timing marks on y7...its been driving me nuts

·
Registered
91 Si mini me
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a 91 ef with a d16y7/z6.. my buddy built the motor for me and passed away after I got it back from him..I think he might of did this to the head, but can't ask him...so I'm stuck

·
Registered
'93 Civic h/b
68 Posts
I also did it with a Y8 head. I don't think it'll works in a Z6 head. You have to use the cam caps that match the original head since it's machined together OEM.

·
Registered
91 Si mini me
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Read what Boostincx* first posted as a reply.. he explians some of the benefits, but a lot of it is just personal preference..vtec or no vtec, lol

·
Registered
91 Si mini me
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya I was gonna throw on the z6 caps..I hope to hear from someone who has done it in a z6 lol, cause this is my dd

·
Registered
91 Si mini me
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its not a y7 cam in my z6...it runs!! It run hella choppy, ive adjusted valve everything, so im thinking it has a cam..lol this thing is driving me crazy, anyone wanna buy?? ... I'm definitly gonna try it, I gotta y7 laying around

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.