Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
CRX 1991 SI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys First I would like to thank in advance all of you that will reply and help without Stupid negative comments please ;) And IF I AM NOT IN THE GOOD SPOT RIGHT NOW ...SORRY I AM NEW AND PLEASE politly just redirect me for the next time Thank you !
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I will start,

1-My engine is almost new D16Z6 (1995),

2-Stock Head port polish & Compresion tested along with the block at the machine shop before assembly

2.5-Crankshaft bearings are also New & Rod bearings also new + Piston Rings are new

3-P28 ECU Vtec (Not chipped) stock

4-Pistons are P29's from my ( d16ZC NON VTEC)

5-Cylinder 1 to 4 compression results were: (175) (180) (185) (195) Not a huge gap in between ALLDATA specs say that a maximum of 28 psi in between each cylinder... ?

6-Runs great on gear but kinda slow for what it is supposed to be

7-NO check engines what so ever either

8-Car is Crx 91 si clutch stage 3 Stock tranny cable , Distributor new also from honda

SYMPTOMS:

*Car has Hard time reaching 7200 rpm after second & 3rd gear like its loosing power

-Car runs good once I've launched in 1st,second etc.... but its slow compared to my 2 other friends civics 95 si... ?

-Once vtec kicks in I dont very feel much extra power either compared to them.. does anyone have input on this ? Maybe timing off by a notch or 2 at the Crank shaft?

I'm CONFUSED by this any input would be appreciated,

Thanks

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
You make no mention of any tuning done.

If you are attempting to run that engine with a stock ECU, You have have already done damage to the pistons. You MUST have the engine tuned ASAP. Failure to get tuned will kill the engine really quickly.

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
^^ This..

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,918 Posts
also ill bet you head was milled on an angle, the cylinders up go evenly as you start at one end and go to the other. not that it overly matters but just pointing it out lol

also you say stock p28, man you need a tune. that p28 map was for a stock motor your is no longer stock. do you have a wide band O2? because i wouldnt even started that car without one also i wouldnt have started it without a chipped ecu

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah man that motor needs to be tuned. Chances are it's already too late if you've been beating on it. I have the same set up as you and i had mine tuned on s100.

·
Registered
CRX 1991 SI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for my late response, had huge fever...lol

Ok so I need to get this tuned ASAP...I'm a NOOB as you can all see, I've been runing this for months now......

And NO I did not tune the car I was told a tune could only be done by buying HONDATA.. ?? that means spending like 1000$ here in Canada

SO what Should I do, ONE of you mentionned Changing my Map Sensor also ??

·
Registered
CRX 1991 SI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And my Oxygen sensor I changed it when i converted my CRX 91 Si (MPFI) to Vtec (92-95) obd-1 d16z6 engine + RYWIRE plugin for ecu adapter obd0 to obd1 + kept Stock intake manifold and Resistor box for my Injectors..

Alright so from here wat should I do the First Step ?

Thanks for all your input !!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

Compression check.

Your running a stock p28 with p29 pistons in a z6 I bet compression is down. You have been using at least 93 octane in that right?

·
Registered
1993 Del Sol
906 Posts
everything your doing is useless without a tune. we all know you dont have a tune, and we all know how a car runs without a tune. bad. so... get a tune.

figure out what system you want to use and find a tuner and be done. find a used s300. you can usually get one with ecu for 500-600. yes not cheap,but we are not in the car modding business because its cheap. damaging your motor will cost more, I promise. Not just in money, but time and headaches.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
And my Oxygen sensor I changed it when i converted my CRX 91 Si (MPFI) to Vtec (92-95) obd-1 d16z6 engine + RYWIRE plugin for ecu adapter obd0 to obd1 + kept Stock intake manifold and Resistor box for my Injectors..

You need a tune badly.

Gettin a wide band 02 will show you how rich/lean you are running your engine. Lean is bad for the pistons... real bad.

Uprgrade to the Z6 manifold, it is far superior to the stock A6.

Youtube has a good 3 part video of "how to chip a p28". You do not need hondata. But you will need tuning sofware like chrome or somethings else.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yup, get a wideband o2 sensor, chipped ecu, ostrich, hulog and download crome and freelog. Dom some research and tune it yourself, once it's running right you can replace the rings and pistons and bearings that are likely damaged from running a stock ecu.

·
Registered
CRX 1991 SI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info on tuning ! But there is one thing that makes no sense...

How Can I possibly Damage my Piston rings and bearings ?? their in oil 24/7 and I don't beat the Hell out of my car everyday either and I buil;t this thing for cheap ..so Even tho I need a tune saying "Engine damage this and that "

Give me an explanation that makes sense why would it be fucked up its been runing for at least 1 year now... and done at least 20K since

·
Registered
CRX 1991 SI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
?? And Where do I download "Crome" and "FREELOG" ?

I GOT A S300 I just dont know how the hell it works lol

ANd I need to buy a "02 Sensor WIDEBAND also

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thanks for the info on tuning ! But there is one thing that makes no sense...

How Can I possibly Damage my Piston rings and bearings ?? their in oil 24/7 and I don't beat the Hell out of my car everyday either and I buil;t this thing for cheap ..so Even tho I need a tune saying "Engine damage this and that "

Give me an explanation that makes sense why would it be fucked up its been runing for at least 1 year now... and done at least 20K since
knock/detonation is what kills engine. lean condition made it worse.

·
Registered
1993 Del Sol
906 Posts
?? And Where do I download "Crome" and "FREELOG" ?

I GOT A S300 I just dont know how the hell it works lol

ANd I need to buy a "02 Sensor WIDEBAND also
wideband o2 sensor. i wouldnt bother. save that money, and use it towards a tune so you can get that tune ASAP. Lets say you get a wideband, then its reading lean. are you going to stop driving it until it gets tuned? if not, dont bother and go straight to a tune so you know at least things are where they need to be, THEN get a wideband to monitor or hook up to your s300 for lean protection and never look at the damm thing again. unless you are going to tune yourself, which i doubt...

good luck!

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
I think if damage is going to be done, it's already been done. Check your physical cam timing, and for now I would retard the dizzy several degrees.

Oh yeah...GET IT TUNED ASAP. The above is a band-aid, but you have to get a tune. Anyone else thing those compression #'s are low? Maybe I missed what cam, but I bet he's got the rings clocked wrong or something.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts