Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Honda Civic EK
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. Just picked up a motor off of my buddy, a d16z6. not too familiar with motors and such, but i have a d16y7 in my 96 hatchback right now. All the motor came with was the block, clutch, head, valve cover. No tranny, no wiring, no exhaust manifold.

We stripped the whole motor down to clean it up, and to see where we want to go with the build. We're both new to building motors, this is our first one. When we were taking the pistons out, one of the rings snapped, now we only have 7 left. Also, we didn't have a vtec solenoid or anything to do with vtec. I'm just going on what my buddy said about it being vtec.

So, questions are: what all will i need to get this motor into my car, properly rebuilt, companies with good products, info on boring out the cylinders, piston/ring size, compression ration built for a turbo later on, and a DIY basically on how to put the motor back together properly, with all proper procedures, methods, etc.

I can post pictures of the motor, it's taken apart and sitting in my room, waiting to be cleaned and have a plan set out for it!

If you know any threads, or if you can be helpful, please do so! Greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's been covered. Although a quick run down would be (if staying n/a)
new rings-oem, hastings
bearings- oem, clevite, acl
headgasket-honda, felpro
check oil pump for clearance..
have your head resurfaced and rebuilt.
For the block, check for warpage on deck and let machine shop do a slight hone.
that's a simple rundown...
to put it back together, just re-do what you did to take it out, also haynes and the like manuals work well too.
if turbo...
p2p0.com, and rc autoworks...
you can get vitara pistons and custom rods for an affordable price. Most everyone here might recommend boring out the cylinders .5mm, this is to ensure perfect cylinder circle and right p2w cleareance.
In the end, search up on this forum and you'll find your questions answered and much more..
Good luck...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I could never do anything to my engine without my manual. Gives you pictures, what tools you'll need, instructions, and most importantly what to torque everything down to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.