Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
it's okay. it just always get's debated back and forth. both are pretty much the same. the y8 has it's disadvantages and advantages, and the z6 is the same way: disadvantages and advantages. 99% of the differences (which are very very few and far between) are in the head and Intake Manifolds. and that's more evident after work is done such as PnP. search around, and check the n.a. forum. i believe there is still a thread on there about the difference between the heads.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
I can see where sonny is coming from, we have had many debates on this.

If you have no OBD our year restrictions were you are, I would say go with the Z6. It seems to have better oiling passages to feed the rod and main bearings the oil they need at higher rpms. This is due to the pressure the oil pump creates and holds.

If you have OBD restrictions...z6 bottom end and y8 top will be a good way to go. You will have the same power as the D16z6, but a little bump in compression.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
and there have been rumblings recently of more detonation in a z6 than a y8. not sure how true that is or not. most of the pnp difference comes from pro jobs being done on both the heads, and some say the z6 head outflows the y8 at higher rpms, but you get more of a low end power in a y8. not sure how true this is either, but somehting to contemplate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts