Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I have heard good things about both motors for turbo applications, the D16A6 has 9.1:1 CR and the D16Z6 has 9.2:1.

What is your opinions on the motors guys, and why do you prefer one over the other, please state your answers clearly.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Z6... better technology, better parts... VTEC y0!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thats the thing, this week I have a chance to pick up a D16Z6, but I want turbo and dont really feel like having V-TEC, Do i need it or can I just run the motor without V-TEC?

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
honda guy said:
Well thats the thing, this week I have a chance to pick up a D16Z6, but I want turbo and dont really feel like having V-TEC, Do i need it or can I just run the motor without V-TEC?
You can run it without, it will run just like an A6. It would leave you with the option to runt he vtec later if you feel the need to.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
D16A6, steel girdle, nuf said.
But how often do you hear that being the cause if melfunction??? Anyway the reason I dont want to bother with V-TEC is because the I'll have to change the wiring and ECU or chip the ECU, either way I heard that v-tec is not good for a boosted setup.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could always throw on my SOHC ZC head on the D16Z6 block. and not have V-TEC

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not sure about how boosting works on the sohc but my friend has a type r dohc when he starts boosting he looses some psi b/c of vtec kicking in. I would say use the a6.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
n_23_s said:
not sure about how boosting works on the sohc but my friend has a type r dohc when he starts boosting he looses some psi b/c of vtec kicking in. I would say use the a6.
he is talking about overlap of the big lobes on the dohc during vtec...

sohc vtec gives you a broader power band than the non vtec a6...it has cam profile optimized for lowend AND a profile optimized for high end...cool thing is the lobe separation of the high lobes is not to the point where you will bleed off too much cylinder pressure while boosting-

also, with the z6, you are starting off with a younger motor with 20 more whp and a waaay fatter torque curve....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love my Z6 but it all depends on what you are going to do with it. The vtec on the Z6 opens up the powerband and when properly tuned (its amazing how good the stock cams do with boost when dialed in) and matched with a turbo cam (but what they can do with the low to no overlap sticks is unreal) that also takes advantage of the vtec it will rock. No, it is not a slap and play job but it is the right way. However, the top case for the Z6 is the sheer numbers of Z6 and Z6 like powered things. If you blow one, 900 or so will get you another one.
Now, the A6 never sold the numbers of the Z6 and never could have -Honda simply wasn't selling that many cars then- so they are becoming rarer and pricier. (all you guys buying A6's stop! you are driving the price up!!) they are superb engines with undeniable potential BUT! the rods are no stronger than the Z6s, the alloy is just different and because of that they needed to be thicker and the pistons are not the best choice honda had in the parts bin. soooo...if you get an A6, the rods have to go. Of course, the Z6 rods are also crap (by Honda standards, in a lead sled, this rods would be "select grade or better" ) but I wanted to make the point that buying the A6 for the rods was no advance. Now, it does have a steel girdle but if that starts to become a factor, the pressure has gone way too high.

Given the situation, I'd go with the Z6. Not because of any superior characteristics of the engine but because of economic considerations.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well said, I just want to make sure i'm heading the right way engine wise. Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
street i would do either the z6 or a6 with a z6 head for a better power band and a great engine to start off with overall. for track i would use the a6. it has steel mains and less rotating mass in the head, 4 less lobes on the cam, and 4 less rocker arms to throw around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts