Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Working on a VGT HY40V on my D16z6 vitara setup.
Just wondering if anyone else on this forum has played around with Holset VGT's on any of these cars.

I'm an old member here and I've had my civic for a decade now, planning on finishing it over the summer as I refreshed the block/trans/axles almost 2 years ago now and the car has just been sitting in my garage.

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
Hey guys,
Working on a VGT HY40V on my D16z6 vitara setup.
Just wondering if anyone else on this forum has played around with Holset VGT's on any of these cars.

I'm an old member here and I've had my civic for a decade now, planning on finishing it over the summer as I refreshed the block/trans/axles almost 2 years ago now and the car has just been sitting in my garage.

My old build thread My D16z6 w/ SC14 Supercharger. Pg 6 Twinchared

You may have to add the photobuckethotlink extension to your browser and enable it to see all of my picts.

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
153 Posts
I saw one setup hat had two actuators, one wastegate one vacuum. The wastegate opened the vanes and the vacuum kept it from slamming completely shut when lifting. No clue how well it worked

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw one setup hat had two actuators, one wastegate one vacuum. The wastegate opened the vanes and the vacuum kept it from slamming completely shut when lifting. No clue how well it worked
Yes I plan to build my with springs. It is fine for it to slam shut while lifting with a spring because it opens again instantly.

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
153 Posts
I think the issue was when you downshift or just lift you are at high rpms and making the housing super small will end badly. The goal was to get it somewhere in the middle in vacuum then close up when the throttle is opened. As boost is built it opens back up. Let me see if I can find what I'm talking about. I had the website bookmarked on one of my PCs.

Edit: I found it but photobucket is a huge piece of shit and the link is broken. It's basically a disc attached to the VGT gear. On one side is the vacuum actuator. On the other the boost one. There is a groove cut in the disc for the vacuum actuator yoke to ride in. In boost the pin doesn't stop it from rotating and the boost actuator opens it up. In vacuum the boost actuator shuts and the vacuum actuator keeps the disc from returning all the way to the closed position. I think it sat somewhere in the 12cm^2 area (instead of like 6 for shut all the way). When vacuum goes to 0 (throttle opens) the vacuum actuator disengages and the disc is allowed to close all the way to build boost. Looked awesome but then again I can't find where I originally saw the setup

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting theory, A dual actuator could work aswell but the thing is that it needs to be a "by boost" actuator that opens slowly as it builds boost. Because if you just open it fully with like a WG arm like some of the DSM guys are doing.... you will fall out of boost and have to rebuild boost.

So I am trying to work on a smooth transition system for these VGT's.
Maybe I should do one with an arm that scales on RPM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts