Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
eg hatch
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried to search a bit for more info but didnt find anything directly to my question

i have both a d16z6 and a d16y8 in my garage, im building an engine for 95 hatch.

are there any qualities that make either of these engines better than the other. since i will still be running an obd1 system in the car with a chipped ecu,with a completly non stock intake mani/throttle body system. most sensors that normally come into factor will not in my case.

opinions or specs would much be appreciated

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
well right off the bat i'll tll you stock for stock the oil pump on the z6 is better than the y8's but some work to that pump can result in just as good performance.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
well right off the bat i'll tll you stock for stock the oil pump on the z6 is better than the y8's but some work to that pump can result in just as good performance.
more than just the oil pump is shitty on the Y series. but search OP damn this has been covered im not saying shit.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
i'll tell you z6, but i'm not explaining why because as sick1cam said this has been covered many times.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
out of the box z6 head flow better and manifold than the y8, the fuel pump is better. the compression is lower. the y8 head has smaller combustion volume thus netting increase in compression, the quench is smaller and the design helps resist detonation.

the z6 pistons have a deeper dish than the y8.

if i were you i would do the z6 its the easiest to swap into your car because of obd1. you could do z6 block, y8 pistons and y8 head,z6 intake manifold...
swap the guts out the z6 distributor and put in z6 distributor thus resulting in higher static compression than stock z6

if you use a stock z6 and a thinner headgasket of .025 will bump the cr roughly .2 but nothing noticeable.

·
Registered
eg hatch
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hm. guess ill do the right thing and take the z6 out of my car and start building that, and slap the y8 into mine till thez6 and all parts are done.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I dont like the design of the combustion chambers of the y8 personally. So heres my thoughts

OBD1 > OBD2
Good Oil Pump > Bad Oil Pump
No timing issues > Weird Timing Issues
Open Chambered Head > Closed chambered Head
Valve cover says VTEC on some > Plain Honda Valve Cover
Nice smooth Intake Manifold design > FattyFab Design

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I dont like the design of the combustion chambers of the y8 personally. So heres my thoughts

OBD1 > OBD2
Good Oil Pump > Bad Oil Pump
No timing issues > Weird Timing Issues
Open Chambered Head > Closed chambered Head
Valve cover says VTEC on some > Plain Honda Valve Cover
Nice smooth Intake Manifold design > FattyFab Design
lol its whats important ey? the closed chamber head increases the compression slightly and the design helps resistance against pre detonation. maybe this compared with the intake design brings up the weird timing

·
Registered
eg hatch
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol its whats important ey? the closed chamber head increases the compression slightly and the design helps resistance against pre detonation. maybe this compared with the intake design brings up the weird timing
though from what ive been reading its popular on the z6 to add a bit more metal to the z6 chamber in order to stop predetonation.

guess i got ahead of myself but im picking up my set of OE d16a1 pistons with some OE Ls rods. heard thats a common decent oem system for around 12 to 1 compression with a bit strong rod.

looking for a decent head kit for the z6, but seem to be falling short on cheap since akmee disappeared

1 - 15 of 15 Posts