Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i want to know if a d16z6 turbo would run better with a si tranny or a dx tranny because since dx have a longer gear ratio would the turbo spoon better?

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
quick answer... upon searching. ex transmission is better for acceleration - period. unless you're trapping 140+ mph (i think someone said this number). but yeah. ex tranny.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I ran both. DX ftw. Great with 200rpm lower in 4. + 5. on the highway.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That turbo is gonna spoon like crazy, y0!

:edit: Use a EX tranny, btw. Long gears aren't all that great, especially with a larger turbo. :edit:

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
That turbo is gonna spoon like crazy, y0!

:edit: Use a EX tranny, btw. Long gears aren't all that great, especially with a larger turbo. :edit:
i got an si tranny and my turbo spoons just fine:D

·
Registered
247 Posts
ex trannies work good.

but if you have engine that makes more TQ, you want longer gears, so that you can achieve speed and not only acceleration

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Stupid question but what's the difference in final drive ratio between the 95 SI and EX trannies? I have a D16z6 N/A with the SI tranny, I'm gonna add boost eventually, should I look into getting and EX tranny, or just put an LSD in my SI tranny. Sorry for the minor thread jacking btw!

·
Registered
186 Posts
another vote for ex!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
SI hands down.. Now if it was equivalent to the Type R tranny it would be diff story :)

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
i have a d15z1 with a y8 head dx trans t3 .42 .48 at 14 psi my friend has a dohc zc with a smaller t3 at 8psi me in 3rd him in 4th he pulls just a little then i catch up and right next to him the whole time... remember me being in 3rd and him being in 4th... my 3rd goes 113 at 7500.. his 4th goes 125 at 7200... plus im in a stripped eg hatch and hes in a full interior system and all del sol...

just goes to show...

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
Both? I have an EX DX and CX tranny i plan to use each for diffrent things,
i like the DX 3rd because you can drop into it at 65mph and pull to 100 on the freeway and keep shifting.
I plan to use the EX with 15's and low pro's for Auto-X
And the CX, well ill see how much HP ill need...

In your case go for Si tranny, it will help you better accelerate because of your lower horsepower.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I have a DX trans with a Quaife LSD... on the street, I loose traction in 1st and second... 3rd is too long... 5th is Awesome for the highway (around 40mpg with a 270hp car :) )
When autocrossing (2nd gear only on slicks, the power delivery isn't great (lag, spin, brake) - I think that a higher FD to keep the car in the powerband would help...
I'm thinking of swapping to an ex or 4.5:1 FD and keep the DX gears, or swap in an EX 1-3 (If that's possible)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If your not looking for big power and plan on driving long distances, which is exactly what i've got, then i'd go with a dx tranny. I easily get 35mpg on my freeway even at higher rpms with a turbo z6 on 10lbs from a T3 42. 48.

·
Registered
93 Civic EX
746 Posts
If your not looking for big power and plan on driving long distances, which is exactly what i've got, then i'd go with a dx tranny. I easily get 35mpg on my freeway even at higher rpms with a turbo z6 on 10lbs from a T3 42. 48.

i am getting around 33mpg with my d16z6 turbo at 10lbs with t3 super 60 42 48 and ex tranny so the difference isnt much.

even then the EX tranny is similar to a B series LS tranny which is a dog tranny. If you are losing traction, its time to get better tires not get longer gears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1995 Del Sol VTEC D16Z6 and im planning on boosting it - would the stock tranny work? Its the Del Sol Si - but im not sure if that tranny is the same as EX or that Si you were talking about above...do I need a new tranny or will the stock on work for boost

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have a 1995 Del Sol VTEC D16Z6 and im planning on boosting it - would the stock tranny work? Its the Del Sol Si - but im not sure if that tranny is the same as EX or that Si you were talking about above...do I need a new tranny or will the stock on work for boost
The stock one will work for boost just fine. It is what we are talking about....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts