Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to this, so I thought I'd get some opinions before I went any further.

I've got a D16Z6 motor with a .48 AR T3 turbo and a P28 running crome for tuning. There is no intercooler.

I got 187WHP tonight @ 7000RPM. AFR was 12.1-12.6, boost was 7-9 PSI.

I used the crome auto tuning feature to retard the ignition .75 degrees per 1 psi of boost.

Do you think I should lean it out a bit more? Is my timing too retarded?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
What is your peak timing? Post up a screenshot of your timing map. And for something like that I would run 11.7-12:1 in boost. No intercooler can kill a motor. But if its safe your fine. On something like that it mmight even be a good idea to go a little more on the timing retard. Hot air sucks for a motor to deal with. 1 degree per psi or so.

Do one or the other. You're motor will live but not happy with the hot air so you should do one or the other. I would just get your a/f ratios smooth down to maybe 12.3-5:1 and run a decent little intercooler.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I would tune it more toward 12:1. Lots of people hit 11's to be safe. You need larger injectors, I hope you know. An intercooler will actually make you situation worse as the air will be more dense after the intercooler, necessitating more fuel, which you cannot give it on stock injectors. Also, pull a bit more timing. Hot air doesn't need as much timing as it lights off faster.

Lastly, put in a set of new plugs, making a harrrrd pull with your current tune, then kill the engine and coast to a stop. Post up clear, in focus, well lit (not blasted with a flash) picturrs of your plug ends. Looking at your plugs can really help you to know what is safe once you learn the basics of reading the plugs.

If you do install an intercooler limit your boost to 6 or less psi, or as much boost as you can make and maintain 12:1 afrs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lastly, put in a set of new plugs, making a harrrrd pull with your current tune, then kill the engine and coast to a stop. Post up clear, in focus, well lit (not blasted with a flash) picturrs of your plug ends. Looking at your plugs can really help you to know what is safe once you learn the basics of reading the plugs.
I have an oil restrictor, DSM 450's and a BOV to install so it's going to be awhile before I can make a run on fresh plugs.

Are you saying kill the engine at WOT?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts