Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty...well i've decided to go turbo...after an inspection some thinking i have decided to turbo a motor other than the crap D16Y7 that m car came with...I've bought a D16Z6 motor...its going in a 98 civic so i have the OBD 1 conversion harness...even after all the reading i decided to go with the ss autochrom set up...i bought the T3 set up...i'm not even gonna argue about the quality of the manifold and what not...but i've seen at least 10 civics running this kit with no problems...anyway...because i only want to run 6-10 psi for the time i was thinking that a VAFC with some DSM 450's would be sufficient...here is the motor and turbo specs
Turbo-T3 .42 .48
Engine-D16Z6, 5930 Comp Cam and the required springs, stock block

My questions are the following...
1. How should i go about breaking the motor in? Should I just turbo it then break it in? Or should i break it in then turbo it later? How do i go about breaking it in either way?

2. Will the VAFC with the DSM 450's be sufficient for a 6psi daily driven...fuel pump?

3. Will I need an FMU with the VAFC?

4. Will I need a fuel pressure regulator?

Sorry if these questions have been answered a million times...i've been reading and reading and i just got a little confused on some of these things...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and if i were to ditch the idea of the VAFC and go with Crome how exactly does the auto tune work? Would i still need a wideband or would it tune everything for me?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
wow, this thread is scary. It was me about 8 months ago. Couple things, not sure if it was my error or not, but Im pretty sure my ssauto turbo seals blew upon startup. I have not been able to pinpoint it yet, It also maybe my valve seals, but just be aware. Also a VAFC is about what? $300? Do yourself a favor, save an extra $200 and get Hondata s300. TRUST ME, you are saying the SAME EXACT things I was saying half a year ago, look back in the threads.....I now have to do everything I am telling you below, and even though everyone here was saying the same, I figured, Ill try. We'll I wish I listened....

As far as breaking it in, I would not take it to its limits for about the first oil change.....You are going to need a higher flow fuel pump along with the dsm's. Also a resistor box. Do you have an intercooler? BOV? Not really needed for 6psi, but is a little nicer on the engine. I would also suggest a FPR, but its not needed. Do yourself a favor. Buy a nice garrett turbo (200-400) and use the cast iron hf mani ($50).

your choice, pay $600 now and about $600 later to fix it OR

pay around $800 now.......

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
CrazyConscious said:
Oh, and if i were to ditch the idea of the VAFC and go with Crome how exactly does the auto tune work? Would i still need a wideband or would it tune everything for me?

forget autotune and get it tuned by an athorized hondata tuner, or someone that knows uber or crome with a wideband and egt, etc.....

O

·
0 Posts
jim
get a hondata and make sure your stuff is professionally tuned. do not take any chances.. the $ your about to put into this project is not worth the chance or blowing it up.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've already bought the ss stuff...but you know i'm not looking for to much performance so its a little late for that...i'm more or less looking into the engine/fuel management part of it now...how much would i be looking to spend on crome, as apposed to hondata and having it tuned...

And i've already been through the stickies...

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
oscarmayer said:
jim
get a hondata and make sure your stuff is professionally tuned. do not take any chances.. the $ your about to put into this project is not worth the chance or blowing it up.
i plan on it man. dont worry bout me!
as far as engine managment crome pro is 149 and youd need a wideband of you shoosing. run somewhere around 230 or so

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jimmyb34 said:
i plan on it man. dont worry bout me!
as far as engine managment crome pro is 149 and youd need a wideband of you shoosing. run somewhere around 230 or so
Crome Pro - $149
Wideband - $300
Ostrich - $150?
Basically = $599

Would that be it as far as tuning software goes? I already have a lap top...if i used crome and an ostrich for on the go tuning would i have to keep the laptop in the car or could i just tune it once and the ecu would be set to it?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I am going to run Crome Pro, it is the shit. With the wideband hooked up, crome can auto tune but you should probly do some adjustments outside of it. And the ostrich stores your settings so that you don't need to leave a laptop hooked up, you just put it in when you want to tune.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
CrazyConscious said:
Crome Pro - $149
Wideband - $300
Ostrich - $150?
Basically = $599

Would that be it as far as tuning software goes? I already have a lap top...if i used crome and an ostrich for on the go tuning would i have to keep the laptop in the car or could i just tune it once and the ecu would be set to it?
You can leave the ostrich in the car w/o the laptop. But you may as well burn the program on a chip and just put that in, one less thing to steal.

But if youre on a budget, you can just get crome (free version), a wideband, and a chip burner. You dont NEED crome pro or the ostrich, it just makes tuning MUCH easier.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mikeD16Z6 said:
You can leave the ostrich in the car w/o the laptop. But you may as well burn the program on a chip and just put that in, one less thing to steal.

But if youre on a budget, you can just get crome (free version), a wideband, and a chip burner. You dont NEED crome pro or the ostrich, it just makes tuning MUCH easier.
forgive me for being so stupid...but...what exactly is the ostrich? Other than a stupid bird with wings that cant fly?

And honestly how would tuning with autotune on crome pro? Would i just start up the car and go take it for a drive or would i need to throw a base map in first so that it doesnt blow up in my face...

would 8psi on a the .42 .48 t3 be safe for daily driving if i went with crome?

One other question, i'm putting the motor in before i turbo it because i've run out of money for the whole turbo set up soooo...i was wondering how well is the motor going to run? Its a D16Z6 with the 59300 cam and springs, and a little thicker head gasket...will i need to tune this motor at all or should it be fine just put together right?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
CrazyConscious said:
forgive me for being so stupid...but...what exactly is the ostrich? Other than a stupid bird with wings that cant fly?

And honestly how would tuning with autotune on crome pro? Would i just start up the car and go take it for a drive or would i need to throw a base map in first so that it doesnt blow up in my face...

would 8psi on a the .42 .48 t3 be safe for daily driving if i went with crome?

One other question, i'm putting the motor in before i turbo it because i've run out of money for the whole turbo set up soooo...i was wondering how well is the motor going to run? Its a D16Z6 with the 59300 cam and springs, and a little thicker head gasket...will i need to tune this motor at all or should it be fine just put together right?

its an eeprom emulator, basically is identical to an eeprom (or chip) but with cables attached so you can change the chip settings on the fly. Dont use a base map, their are other maps by other people that Im sure are close to your car settings, use those. (beerbongskickass bin)

8spi is safe for daily...

motor should run fine, did you upgrade the fuel system? make sure you have a way of scaling back the injectors if you installed bigger ones....

A

·
0 Posts
Just becareful with that SS autochrome Manifold. Brace it properly and it will last you for a little while. They are just not made correctly. It will still break. Just to let you know sooner or later it will still break. Prepare yourself for that.This was mine after 8 months

Then I got smart and bought a real manifold:

Don't cheap out and buy a shitty manifold. That's one of the most important parts of the setup.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts