Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone im new to this building thing i have a z6 del sol stock internals i only have bent headers ndk coils ngk sparkplugs and intake i just recently put in a new distributor as well but my plans are to boost it..im hoping to boost 8 psi since its my daily and i cnt afford to buy rods and pistons at this moment even tho i eventually will do that.

anyways my question is can my internals hold that much boost? by the way im planning on an ebay kit for now im a newbie i dnt wnt to start big i just need something to start with..will i be making a noticeable hp with that much boost....
and sorry i dnt know much about this i know its better if i get the internals as soon as possible but when i actually get them do i need to resurface my head and block ? is that necesary? and will i need better valves with springs and retainers for future builds?

thanks for any answers please dnt be rude or keep ur comments to ur self .

·
Registered
114 Posts
this is the wrong place for this. this should be posted in the noob section. also, dont worry about how many psi, worry about HP/TQ numbers. All of the answers to what you asked has been covered many times. use google or the search feature on here or just look at peoples builds.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
1) Thread moved.
2) 8 PSI with a GOOD TUNE should be doable on stock internals.
3) Yes you will notice a difference (it won't be lightning fast but you'll notice a difference.
4) Buy quality, buy once!
5) Do some digging on here and check out some others build threads.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
hey everyone im new to this building thing i have a z6 del sol stock internals i only have bent headers ndk coils ngk sparkplugs and intake i just recently put in a new distributor as well but my plans are to boost it..im hoping to boost 8 psi since its my daily and i cnt afford to buy rods and pistons at this moment even tho i eventually will do that.

anyways my question is can my internals hold that much boost? by the way im planning on an ebay kit for now im a newbie i dnt wnt to start big i just need something to start with..will i be making a noticeable hp with that much boost....
and sorry i dnt know much about this i know its better if i get the internals as soon as possible but when i actually get them do i need to resurface my head and block ? is that necesary? and will i need better valves with springs and retainers for future builds?

thanks for any answers please dnt be rude or keep ur comments to ur self .
Like awebb said, a good tune is going to make or break your build.

Right there is between 300-600 that needs to be added to your budget. So if you have a 1k budget, look at bumping it up to around 1500-2000

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
The turbo, manifold, down pipe and intercooler ect that you see in the average e-bay kit is only part of the picture. there are things like a chipped ECU, fuel injectors, fuel pump, tuning software license ect that need to be acquired as well. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
If you just want a little more "oomph" but want to keep it nice and reliable for DD, you could b-swap.

Otherwise my suggestion for a turbo build ... because I know how deep the rabbit hole can get. Is keep the car running for now ... don't do "good enough" mods. Figure out your ultimate goal for the car and then build towards it. Be patient and find those good deals on parts, stock pile them until you are ready to go. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Spare block, turbo, all supporting goodies. Build it once and enjoy it forever.

Or you could do what I did ... 3 engine configurations (or I guess maybe 5), two transmissions, three clutches, and two turbos later (still waiting to put one on ... engine configuration 6?) ... I'm much wiser.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I think there should be a official "how much boost can a D16z6 take?" thread and it should be made a sticky.
But HP and boost are different. Mostly because boost vs HP will be different between turbos.

That would also involve people reading the stickies. :pinch:

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I think there should be a official "how much boost can a D16z6 take?" thread and it should be made a sticky.
You mean how much cylinder pressure a z6 can take right?

Boost has little to do with it, timing, cam, and tune on the other hand.

That sticky would have some science in it, causing n00bs and wannabe's anguish as they open countless pointless threads asking for explanation as all they want to know is how much they should turn up the psi to make such and such power.

Then they will call us dumb assholes because we researched it and wont let them cut in line, I am over this n00b nice shyt, lemme at em. this isnt simple, as much as easy.

Sorry op, back to you......
Throw this in for some reading, found it elsewhere but it fits.

The truth is that most people loose their motors on pump gas due to detonation. Detonation is not solely caused by boost. For a given fuel detonation will occur at a given pressure and temperature in your combustion chamber. Any time you exceed that temperature and pressure the remaining charge in the cylinder will explode. This explosion is what breaks ring lands and/or pounds the bearings out of your motor. So how do we control temperature and pressure? Temperature is partially a function of the mechanical setup of your motor, we will not address this since we are talking about a stock motor. The other main way to control temperature in the combustion chamber, for a given fuel, is with the air fuel ratio.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You mean how much cylinder pressure a z6 can take right?

Boost has little to do with it, timing, cam, and tune on the other hand.

That sticky would have some science in it, causing n00bs and wannabe's anguish as they open countless pointless threads asking for explanation as all they want to know is how much they should turn up the psi to make such and such power.

Then they will call us dumb assholes because we researched it and wont let them cut in line, I am over this n00b nice shyt, lemme at em. this isnt simple, as much as easy.

Sorry op, back to you......
Throw this in for some reading, found it elsewhere but it fits.

The truth is that most people loose their motors on pump gas due to detonation. Detonation is not solely caused by boost. For a given fuel detonation will occur at a given pressure and temperature in your combustion chamber. Any time you exceed that temperature and pressure the remaining charge in the cylinder will explode. This explosion is what breaks ring lands and/or pounds the bearings out of your motor. So how do we control temperature and pressure? Temperature is partially a function of the mechanical setup of your motor, we will not address this since we are talking about a stock motor. The other main way to control temperature in the combustion chamber, for a given fuel, is with the air fuel ratio.

I was merely poking fun at the fact that this subject comes up once a week.

Btw, thanks for the book report, I will give you a C+ even though I didn't read it. ;)

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
lol, hey the quote is an A, I mean I didnt write it, the rest I agree completely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts