Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gday guys,

Currently running a D16z6. Built block and head with oem head gasket and ARP studs. Running a twin core half size alloy radiator with a spoon 1.35bar radiator cap. Oem thermostat / switch.

At the moment my radiator overflow bottle is filling up and overflowing to the point where the radiator is nearly dry of coolant when i put the engine under heavy load. 15psi at WOT etc. Coolant is free of oil and oil is free of coolant. no steam in exhaust either. not seeing more then 90degrees C on my water temp gauge.

Would this be a Blown head gasket / head lift situation ?

Regards Lyle

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
If it was a HG failure you'd be able to either see, or smell the coolant.

Is it 50/50 coolant mix? Or more water than coolant? If this is the case, it could be evaporating/turning into steam cause the temps are above boiling point(212*)?

As far as it pushing back into the reservoir it sounds like the pressure is getting higher than your 1.35bar radiator cap. So the car must be getting really hot in order to put pressure that much.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am useing a anti freeze/boil pre mix coolant.
I also do have small air bubbles come from my coolant at idol, however unsure if the system is blead completely yet.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
The bleeder nut should be on the top radiator hose. Follow it to the motor and you should see it at the end.

S300 should allow you to datalog the ECTs. Although if there is air bubbles in the system, and happens to get stuck where the ECT sensor is it could give false readings.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is this a new setup (rad & cap) cause i have seen some of the aftermarket rad's use a cap differant than factory. I had people put the stock style cap on the rad and have the same problem.
But u said you have small bubbles at idle. Is this after a thermostat cycle or even cold?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The radiator did not physically come with this cap however the cap i bought is the correct fitment (physically screws on fine and locks in etc). coolant seems a little foamy and bubbles slightly and noticed some moisture on my muffler tip

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
It sounds to me like you are pushing air from the cylinders into the cooling system (based on the foaming/bubbles)...that is if you have burped and bled the cooling system and continue to see this behavior.

I assume the radiator is new?

Is the fan working?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have been constantly trying to bleed the radiator system for nearly 20mins and still bubbles/foam. Thermostat has cycled around 6 times

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know its been said, JIC you need a pic.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/dscn2762oi.jpg/

You could also just leave the radiator cap off and run the car on a level surface for like 30 minutes. keep "burping" it by squeezing the radiator hose and keep the fluid level to top.

weird...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds like a Warped head and I would pull the head and check if its flat and change the head gasket. and if the head needs to be surfaced make sure its at least a Ra of 30 or lower and check the block just to make sure. the D17 motors have this problem quite a bit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
will the plugs have a colour/residue on them if i am getting coolant in my combustion chamber?
Its more like the combustion is going into the coolant passage and bubbling it and getting it super hot. What is your temp on the S300 at idle and what temp is the fan set to come on?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ thats what i was thinking. But water/combustion & combustion/water mix are really the same thing right? Temp at idol is 80deg C from gauge and sensor mounted in head

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
^ thats what i was thinking. But water/combustion & combustion/water mix are really the same thing right? Temp at idol is 80deg C from gauge and sensor mounted in head
Yeah, typically a leak between combustion and coolant territories results in the cylinder contents being pushed into the cooling system as the cylinder is under pressure, and pulling coolant into the cylinder when the cylinder is under vacuum. Perhaps you have one of those high-end headgasket leaks that come with a check valve? :wacko:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
haha ^

picture of plugs i took 5 min ago, i did notice the plug on the far left - cylinder 1 (closest cylinder to the head coolant outlet to the radiator) did seem to have more moisture on it (hard to tell weather it had a oil or water texture) thoughts?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts